Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:41 AM   #11

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
thkn777.....you have blown out her face.....in my opinion the original looks far better!
Are you talking about the first edit (#3)? I got the same feeling because it's so much lighter and double checked the histogram, it should be all there! But that's of course only the technical thingie...

I was more toying around with sharpness to be honest - but still I think it's not overdone. Maybe your display is playing tricks on you? On my laptop the feeling for a certain photo is very different when viewed from different angles for example...

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:03 AM   #12

Awesome suggestions! Now I just have to think about it all and remember it.....:lol:

Yes, I have the K100D.

I shot these at 800 ISO. Earlier when she was not near the window, I had it at 1600 by accident (from shooting outside earlier), but had a lot of noise so switched it down. Now I guess because i had much more natural lighting, I probably could have switched it up. I think i might try to get her near that window during the same time during the day, with it up a bit, just to see the difference.

The shutter speeds were 0.0011 s (1/90) (first pic) and 0.0022s (1/45) (2nd and 3rd). Too slow maybe?

Question: What is K100's "bright mode"? Is that the "B" on the mode dial that I haven't yet gotten to in my learning?

TC3 AND thkn; (you people need real names )

I like both versions a lot, so its good to hear that other people differ on them. I do find for pictures of kids like this, it can be really subjective. Some people prefer a full-on, non-cropped pic thats softened (maybe with a slight blur) - I know other moms would prefer it that way. In other cases, a sharper image and enhanced "glow" of her skin tone of thkn's modifications is better for things like birth announcements. I also like the cropped because of the look of intent of the "subject". So possibly its fairly subjective?

Thkn, thanks for the post-processing, and telling me what actions you used. Always good to know for the future!
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:18 AM   #13

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
The shutter speeds were 0.0011 s (1/90) (first pic) and 0.0022s (1/45) (2nd and 3rd). Too slow maybe?

Question: What is K100's "bright mode"? Is that the "B" on the mode dial that I haven't yet gotten to in my learning?

TC3 AND thkn; (you people need real names )

... So possibly its fairly subjective?

Thkn, thanks for the post-processing, and telling me what actions you used. Always good to know for the future!
Speed: that depends - you can be pretty safe even for sports shots at 1/320+ if in doubt fire some shots in continuous mode - can always hope for a "freeze" shot that way even at 1/20s - shake reduction does nothing against motion blur, it only helps you in low light to keep the camera steady.

bright mode: It's in the menu, 1st tab, almost at the top (at the DL2). bright mode is a "non linear" color curve to say so with more vibrant colors and a tad more contrast iirc - I mostly use the "linear" mode and post-process if needed.

real name: my nick ... that's a long story, several years ago I wanted a good nick but EVERYTHING was unavailable but some letter/number combos... now I stick to that - stubborn, I know - you can shorten it to "Th" if you like - I even sign my post that way normally.

subjective: ofc it is. Even more so since only the photographer can decide, what was there and how it looked. That's the beauty of post-processing - you can give people what they want with some slight adjustments to the image. As for me... too much blur is kitschy.

You are welcome,
Th.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:25 PM   #14

Hey Michelle,
You know what, the important thing here is that you have captured a precious moment of time that you can revisit for the rest of your life. So don't be too concerned with the technical aspects. I guess, IMO, family photos are the most important but at the same time are the ones with the most "margin for error." It is more about the people and the memory than the technique or technology.

Now that I have finished spouting philosophy, I would say that you are really putting a challenging task in front of yourself. You are trying to use indoor natural light to capture an always in motion toddler. Portraits, children, indoor natural light, any one of these is a challenge.

If you are really wanting to use natural light for indoors, you can't beat one of the 50mm 1.7 or 1.4 lenses, they do an awesome job of pulling the light in. At the same time, if you are not right on top of your subject, the flash is generally not *too* harsh. In any case, if you spend the day with your daughter and only get two good pics out of 200, you still spent the day with your daughter and the world is good.

Treasure this time, they turn into teenagers!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:31 AM   #15

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
... you still spent the day with your daughter and the world is good.

Treasure this time, they turn into teenagers!
Wise words, really - that's so true.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:55 AM   #16

Thanks Tim!

I think my motivation for this comes from the fact that I am a "expat" mom - and there's a certain (perhaps ritualistic) things back home that moms just do, that i felt i was missing out on - one of those was being able to take my kids to a photo studio for portraits once in a while. Even more compounded by the fact that I have a billion requests back home to send pictures, frameable ones. However, the few times I have gone to a studio here, I've been really disappointed.

The first one was great quality pics, but for the sitting and only four prints, it cost over 100$. Thats *just* four prints - with no access to the other shots. The second one, i just went to the mall, thinking i would get sheets of prints (think Walmart type service) but it ended up being something similar - 4 prints, 60$, and extremely bad quality.

I decided I need to work on doing my own. This way I can make as many copies as I want and always have access to the "proofs". I love beautiful pictures, esp of my daughter and went for so long without any!

Having rambled on about that, i loved your post and think its very true. The thing i do love about having this camera is the extra incentive to get outside and do different things and have fun. The bonus part is the good quality pictures that I know bring smiles to the grandparents faces 5000 km away.

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:01 PM   #17

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
However, the few times I have gone to a studio here, I've been really disappointed.
Sorry for hijacking, but thats the same I experienced here - big fuss about a "pro photo studio" and "pro photographers". We tried for family shots - I think none really survived more than 2 months. The wedding pictures were a desaster too. There's only one ( 1 !!!) I really like from the whole (did I say it was quite expensive?) series - and that's heavily blurred.

When a friend of mine told me she needed to schedule something with a photo studio for her 4 sons I convinced her to give me a chance. We just hung a uni-colored bed sheet at a well lit area in the garden, I had good sunlight with no particular hard light. Camera on tripod and then all 4 kids had to stand in front of the sheet and just tell me a joke, a story, sing a song, anything. Anything but give a standard "cheese" face. While they all waited when the "photo shooting" will start I kept telling them I had some technical problems and would just adjust the camera and to do so I need all 4 kids and stuff...

All the time I had the camera ready and happily clicked away. :blah:

We did 2 "sessions" with all 4 kids in like 15 minutes or so. It gave us nearly 350 pictures which I just downloaded onto the PC of my friend and let her watch and choose. It took her about one week and she was bitching about what I had done to her giving her that much pictures and leaving it up to her to decide all the time, but at the end she was very happy with the few pictures she choosed.

I'll do this for her again this year, was a success

If a professional photographer can beat that and make better photos, that show more of the kids personality while keeping things "naturally" and still offers more quality (technically, in the means of photographic excellence) - he/she shall get well payed. Until then - no money from me.

To cut that long story short - I think you do it just right. If you really want "studio photos", let the photographer convince you first, that he/she is really capabale to do the job. References might help here for example.

Happy snapping!