Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:52 PM   #1

As per my other thread, finally posting a couple. I actually have about 1 billion pics before i got to something I thought was worthy. I felt the natural lighting in the 3rd pic was the best (too bad I couldn't get a smile :G) but its not easy to tell a 2 year old: "sit in THIS exact spot and don't move while i set the camera" :lol: So you know - no time to worry about composition, I hope that will eventually be second nature as i get quicker.

Attached Images

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2

Number 2
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:53 PM   #3

number 3
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:25 PM   #4

It is MUCH easier to get some photos of a 2 years old that just plays and does his/her thing than of a 8+ years old that doesn't like to be the "center of attention". Grimacing teenagers can ruin everything! :roll:

Since I read that your computer died I tried for a little modification of #3 - I like it better that way - what do you say? WB is a guess, I know... I tried to crop a bit because she was a bit too "centered" and went for some histogram adjustments and sharpening (might have overdone the sharpening thingie a tad, but I got the feeling it's a bit blurred/out of focus and tried to fix that)

As for the smile - she looks very "natural" - so this is the best you can ask for to my mind. In 99% I hate "cheese" photos - they look so artificial.

Anyway - here we go.

Regards,
Th.

P.S. I like #1 too - maybe work on composition with those shots, but it's already nice as is.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:38 PM   #5

Thanks, your suggestions are very valuable!

Wow, thats so much sharper. Do you think my focus could be better then? It might have been unavoidable with her moving, but your version is such an improvement, that I think i best work on that as well.

I felt the first one had some blue tint to it, but I really need to analyze the exif data to see if its just my eyes or not. I stare at these for so long, I start to get blurry myself. :?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:05 PM   #6

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, your suggestions are very valuable!

Wow, thats so much sharper. Do you think my focus could be better then? It might have been unavoidable with her moving, but your version is such an improvement, that I think i best work on that as well.

I felt the first one had some blue tint to it, but I really need to analyze the exif data to see if its just my eyes or not. I stare at these for so long, I start to get blurry myself. :?
Nah... not really. dSLR pics aren't as sharp as your average digicam JPEG. So chances are that it was just fine but she moved. You could try to work on the original picture (mind you - I only had the posted one here) and see for yourself - iirc motion blur deconvolution showed slightly different values for x- and y-axis, which means either you or the kid moved.

As for movement - you got a K100d? I have a DL2 - and both share the same or similar sensors, which means you get almost the same low light performance than me. Try shooting at different ISO values - my DL2 gives me great pictures even at ISO800 and still good ones (depending on situation) at ISO1600. Higher ISO and depending on how much she moves - 1/125+, better 1/200+ would be a good start. Can even shoot RAW and crank up exposure later in the RAW converter. 1,5-2,0 steps are usually fine when you aren't in for some heavy cropping.

Blue tint - yes, would say the same. WB isn't very safe on my DL2 and thus shooting RAW for natural skin tones (read: WB correction) later is highly recommended.

Quick attempt on #1 - some cropping, WB correction (wild guess), histogram works, sharpening, highlight/shadows and a slight boost to the red channel for the skin tone. I am not very satisfied with the crop since I loose the very nice upper right head side which shows the great lightning, but that way the photo shows more of the concentrated play that's going on here. See how focussed she is on the pencil! Great shot imho - would rate it even better than #3 There you go:

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:14 PM   #7

I like all three of these! The little amount of vignetting on the first one doesn't bother me at all. While I would have cropped closer, I don't think I would have cropped so low on the head - I would have cloned out the distracting thing on the wall first. It's really a matter of taste. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've ended up installing Photoshop 6 (I also have PS4)on my hubby's computer. While I miss having some of the features of CS2, I at least have some ability to manipulate photos.

You might try shooting with the K100's bright mode for some extra sharpness. It's not as over-saturated as the DS vivid mode, worth trying it and seeing what you think. I don't have an exif reader on this computer - as a general rule you'll want to use as fast of a shutter speed with a squirmy toddler as you can. What ISO did you use for this picture? You might try bumping itup.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:20 PM   #8

Michelle, I like the first one best because she looks so intent on what she's holding. If only she had been turned just a bit more to the light. But as you say, when photographing a 2 year old... Nice shots of a cute subject!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:50 PM   #9

i like them a lot Michelle especially the last one. what a cutie !!!!!!!!
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:06 AM   #10
TC3

thkn777.....you have blown out her face.....in my opinion the original looks far better!
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote