Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1

(K100d and sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro)

On saturday I went for a hike through the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary. I recently discovered some trails that led to the back area of the sanctuary. It was here that I ran into a northern harrier. It caught me quite by suprise because the trail that I was hiking down has trees on both sides. The harrier just popped over the tree top and was gone in a matter of seconds. I fired off a burst of shots as quickly as I could.

As you can tell they are not very sharp even after post processing. I can't blame it on the lighting because there was plenty of good light coming over my shoulder. Ah well. There is always next time...

Found this white crowned sparrow pecking for seeds in the shade.

Alittle bunny in the bushes. You better be carefull little fellah. I ran into a hungry looking coyote about half an hour ago in the sanctuary. Unfortunately I didn't get any good shots of him.

[img]Found%20this%20white%20crowned%20sparrow%20pecking %20for%20seeds%20in%20the%20shade.[/img]

On sunday I took the family and my nikon friend, danny out to back bay for a stroll. It was cold and gray. Not much birding action except for this little snowy.

I like the composition of this shot. Sorta funny seeing a wild snowy egret crossing the road.

When there's not much birding action going on, you gotta find other things of interest too shoot.

The storm clouds rolled in and it started sprinkling, so we head back to the car and off to find some lunch.

Thanks for looking
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:56 AM   #2

And why does the egret cross the road??? That's my favorite one of this bunch, though the bee is nice too.

Too bad the harrier is a bit blurry - they are otherwise nice pictures (could it be that you were so surprised by him you weren't able to hold the camera steady? That's never happened to me...MUCH! But then, I've never been able to pan well either). Some day I'll figure this all out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:24 AM   #3

Why does the egret cross the road? That's easy - he want to get to the other side... :roll::blah:

That pic is my favourite too.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:59 AM   #4

Nice shots, royce. The egret is really something. Remebers me of one on a beach a number of years back: it was not shy at all and almost poked my eye while trying to take a close shot with a P&S camera.

I also like the rabbit shot. Is that really a bunny? I have one in my backyard coming from time to time but I could not get a decent shot of it. This guy is huge with long ears and can dig really fast.

Keep them coming.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5

Hung,

Nice shots even the Hawk because I know how hard it is to get on target at the last second like that.

Wish I was back out there, we got 18" of snow this weekend and more to come so everything is all white.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:58 PM   #6

Hey Royce,

Nice shots. My favorite would be the bunny, that one is really sharp with lots of detail.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:29 PM   #7

Royce, that was a very enjoyable set of photos. Thanks for posting them!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:29 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Why does the egret cross the road?
Because there's a crazy man with a camera chasing him down! :lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:51 PM   #9

LOL!!! You did get a shot of me with the snowy!

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Why does the egret cross the road?
Because there's a crazy man with a camera chasing him down! :lol:
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:34 PM   #10

ROTFL!:G Wonderful capture! Love it! Well done! I wonder what the birds think of these crazy creatures chasing after them...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote