Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:54 PM   #11

I've been inGermany for 10 years and here's my theory. I've found that people don't get into a lot of things a little bit like Americans do. If Germans get into a hobby, say cycling, they get intoitall the way.Theyhave all the proper clothing, know their bikesreally well, ride in clubs and taketime to get "good" at it. So when it comes to cameras Germans aren't going to be buyingmore serious digital cameras unless they are really going to get into the hobby.Therefore it is not financially sound for camera stores to stock a lot of brands when there won't be the volume. Since most people buy Nikon and Canon that is what we see. What do the rest ofthe Europe based folks think?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:20 PM   #12

I have got the opposite impression. Here a lot of pepople walk in to a shop and say: "Good morning, I'd like to buy a camera, because I'mgoing for holidays.Is that black one at the right any good?"Five minutes and 100 sweet salesman's words laterthey walk out with a Nikon.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:42 AM   #13

And it still gets me how many think Pentax just popped up out of nowhere, or did nothing before the P&S era.....

Fact of the matter is that they have been around as long or longer than C & N.....

In fact if memory serves me right in the 60's Canon and Pentax were the established and actually Nikon was the new kid on the block.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:48 AM   #14

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Therefore it is not financially sound for camera stores to stock a lot of brands when there won't be the volume. Since most people buy Nikon and Canon that is what we see. What do the rest ofthe Europe based folks think?

Glenn
Yet The Pentax K10D is HUNDREDS less than either the Canon (aging) 30D (40 is WHERE? likely P 100 and 10D success has made them really rethink that marketing) and Nikon 200D (for same reason recently price reduced).
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:08 AM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I have got the opposite impression. Here a lot of pepople walk in to a shop and say: "Good morning, I'd like to buy a camera, because I'mgoing for holidays.Is that black one at the right any good?"Five minutes and 100 sweet salesman's words laterthey walk out with a Nikon.

Kjell
Could it be a German thing? I guess its inaccurate to pigeonhole any country, let alone a continent of many diverse countries. But i got the same impression that Glenn did - perhaps just from the people that *i* know - that the name brand, reputations, quality, etc affected their self-esteem and perceived status amoungst their social group. I know people that spend an excrutiating amount of time just picking out curtains for their new home and maintaining that they.must.be.THE.BEST.

Then there are the Nordic Walking Sticks......

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:09 AM   #16

I agree with you there, Hayward. Pentax is a great camera, from aproven company with better prices.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:33 AM   #17

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
Could it be a German thing? I know people that spend an excrutiating amount of time just picking out curtains for their new home and maintaining that they.must.be.THE.BEST.

Then there are the Nordic Walking Sticks......
I'm not prejudiced, but I guess it's a German thing (Myself, I'm never satisfied with anything.but.THE.BEST., as some on this board can confirm. Maybe I have a German heritage?)

What the h*ck are Nordic Walking Sticks? We don't use such things to get home from the pub, we just cling to the first street light pole till the right house passes by:blah:.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:00 PM   #18

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

What the h*ck are Nordic Walking Sticks? We don't use such things to get home from the pub, we just cling to the first street light pole till the right house passes by:blah:.

Kjell
Thats what I tend to do too. :G

They are these ski poles, that Germans (maybe Danish too? Norwegians?) use when out doing a sport they call "Nordic Walking". In other words, going for a walk in the forest, but using 2 100$ ski poles as if they are about to climb the alps. But worst yet, in my area, when out walking, I overhear German power women bragging about their sticks, how much they cost, and how they were a "special custom fit". I hope no one takes offense, but it always makes me giggle. Next weekend, I'll go out with the Pentax and snap some pics of this phenomenon.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:03 PM   #19

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

I'm not prejudiced, but I guess it's a German thing (Myself, I'm never satisfied with anything.but.THE.BEST., as some on this board can confirm. Maybe I have a German heritage?)

Kjell
I forgot to say: I like The.Best too - but only in products where it matters. I wouldn't go buy 1000$ worth of curtains for my home that were the exact quality as Ikeas. The people I am talking about are more focussed on the price, so that they can brag about the brag, without even really looking at the quality.

My, but i'm getting off topic. Sorry, all. :lol:
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:40 PM   #20

In the UK it is still C & N ruling the roost.

In fact a major retailer over here (I actually bought my camera from them) only stocked the K110D when it came out, and seems now to have stopped selling Pentax altogether.

As already mentioned, retailers are ther to make a profit. Therefore they will only stock the saleable items. P & S compacts, bridge, and C & N SLR.

When people want a new camera, unless they are into photography, they will look at what their friends have and what the pros use. This usually entails buying Nikon (as I did years ago with my F70, as pros were using F90).

Unfortunately, Pentax is akin to Leica etc, in that the company appeals to enthusiasts, who want the right tool at the right price.

Various magazines are starting to take note of Pentax, and reviewers are susrprised by the build and quality of the K100D and the K10D.

I have a DL2 at the moment, but hopefully in the next 3 months, I am going to buy the K10D (or the GX10). Was going to get the K100D, but the better half said I should "get the better one or you will only be moaning in 3 months". So I have my orders.

Darren

*edit
Just checked that reatiler, and they now stock the K100D (inflated price of course) and "Coming Soon" the K10D. Wonders will never cease.
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote