Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:10 AM   #1

When i bought my K100, I based my decision on the opinions of folks here, as well as a few review sites that were in English. I did not go to any German review sites, because I didn't think my German would be good enough.

Just curious as to how Pentax fairs amoungst european hobbyists/reviewers/ & photographers, esp compared to the U.S. Is it still very much a Canon and Nikon world for entry level dSLRs?
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:23 AM   #2

On your question about it being still a Canon/Nikon world I guess it'll take some time before the Pentax will be counted among them. (not by me, because I really appreciate this camera)

I can only speak for the small corner where I live (Antwerp-Belgium), Pentax doesn't seem to exist here. I haven't seen any shop (except MediaMarkt - k100d) having a Pentax in the store. There was but one shop in Antwerp that gave me a descent answer on my inquiry about the Pentax k10d (Grobet) and they even invited me to a k10d demo.

Now I do see lots of publicity for the Sony alpha100, or for the Canon eos400d but haven't seen any for Pentax might be an idea that they start with it to.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:03 PM   #3

Well, in Sweden they look at you as if youwere an alien when you show you the camera. Most professional camera dealers "have heard" that Pentax has started making DSLR's, but haven't even thought about putting one on display. In the electronics chains, that do sell Nikon and Sony alpha, the shop assistants don't know about the brand at all. In spite of all the Pentax Optios they have sold through the years! Well well, there are music shop assistants that don't know who Bob Dylan is either...

But the K10D has actually made an impact. Good reviews in the photo magazines, and I've seen it on a few shelves too. Unfortunately not on one in my home, though.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
TDN

I'm afraid so. On the 2 shooting days of a belgian forum I went to, everyone except me was using Nikon or Canon.

I don't really mind that, because both manufacturers have great cameras, it's only that the shops rarely have anything pentax branded in stock...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:38 PM   #5

What about the non-english foreign review sites? Good mention on those, or no?

Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:58 PM   #6

Review or not to review that is the question... :-)
I guess that many folks decide their purchase upon reviews- but I personally use them as 10% proof for myself. Brand loyalty... maybe ;-) As of Europe- I guess that we here have the densiest Pentax DSLR equipment in one room- thanks to my K100D and K10D purchases we now have 3 very happy K10D owners per 20 square meters (our tiny office...). Both other guys came from Canons: 350D and 20D- and without any reviews it was sufficent for them to take my K100D (at first) with kit+DA50-200 to decide... And meanwhile I gave them my FA35/2, FA50/1.4 and DFA100/2.8 and they saw the prices and the pics they made themselves etc... :-) Sold for Pentax! BTW I kept my 10-17FE and 16-45 etc. in a secret from them- but despite that- once again 2 happy switchers! But one thing to keep in mind: they think scientifically not emotionally although ergonomics is believed to be a matter of taste :-)

Best and happy shooting, JR
Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:48 PM   #7

what gets me is all the C* , N* that are actually recommending pentax to people asking for a starter dslr.. pentax has really made mark recently.

michelle, where i'm from this name can be either male or female(or other, in new orleans) what's your gender???

roy
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:25 PM   #8

Roy: you asked me that before :G Female.

robar wrote:
Quote:
what gets me is all the C* , N* that are actually recommending pentax to people asking for a starter dslr.. pentax has really made mark recently.

michelle, where i'm from this name can be either male or female(or other, in new orleans) what's your gender???

roy
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:35 PM   #9

Reps wrote:
Quote:
Review or not to review that is the question... :-)
Weeell, actually, i have a somewhat immature and self-serving reason for asking. :G

For me, i chose based on working through my requirements with the people here as I didn't quite know what i would need for some old lenses I own. But, i was curious about what "other" people who are hung up on reviews see when they look for Pentax online. aranoid: That said though, i DO check review sites because often people will post concerns/defects that I never thought of.

Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:03 PM   #10

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
Roy: you asked me that before :G Female.
heck, michelle, it must be oldtimers..

roy