Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:13 PM   #1

I thought I'd batch process my latest shots using Lightroom which, with the exception of the daffodils came up well - sharpness was set to 75 with all other settings on 'as shot'.

Here's the output from PPL v2

And from Lightroom

Turning down the Vibrance/saturation helped with some but not this one.

Reloaded into Lightroom with setting on Auto

No problems with SilkyPix v3

ACR on Default was just as bad as Lightroom but set to Auto, it adjusted Recovery to 15 and the 'blood' daffodil became a yellow daffodil.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:30 PM   #2

Oh, oh! That's terrible, and nothing like what I saw when I used the beta version. Are there others who are having problems like that? I still don't have my computer and the student store still hasn't received their order yet, so I haven't bought it.

Have you contacted Adobe about this result? Wonder if there's something set wrong? Was this taken with the K10 or a DS/DL? My beta version expired before I got the K10 (would have used dng anyway, since the K10 pef wouldn't have been supported).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:52 PM   #3

I think I can say with confidence that you've done something wrong here. I'm not a Lightroom expert and I can't really tell you WHAT, but I can tell you have I've processed hundreds of images since installing Lightroom 1.0, I've used the Sharpen command on quite a few of them, and I've not see that result. EVER.

Couple of thoughts.

Sharpening to 75 seems pretty strong to me. I seldom go over 40. Although I think I have pushed it as high as 75 occasionally and I've never seen this result.

Also, on the advice of the experts, I never sharpen until I've done everything else I can do with the exposure and the tone curve and, if necessary, the colors. I understand that the tone curve in Lightroom is significantly different from the tone curve in Photoshop. A couple quick adjustments to the curve usually contribute very quickly to the sharpening of my images by increasing tonal contrast. Sharpening is the last thing I do.

Have you tried getting help on the Adobe User to User forum for Lightroom? That's where the experts hang out and I've found them quite ready to help.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:02 PM   #4
Administrator

That looks almost like it's highlighting the brighter areas for you, the way many raw converters can show you the blown highlights while you're making the initial adjustments to an image using exposure sliders, etc..

My guess is that it's a bug doing just that to the halos that may be appearing at high contrast areas with the sharpening slider cranked up (just a guess, as I have not used Lightroom at all).

It looks too uniform in color to be posterization.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:31 PM   #5

I have just played with a somewhat similar Flower Image and even cranked the sharpening up to maximun, but I was unable to produce a result like your's.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:58 PM   #6

It looks like an odd curves setting, like if the very top of the curve made a sharp dip down. Try reloading it and resetting everything, or delete the XMP file (or whatever kind of file Lightroom creates) and reload.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:47 AM   #7

I reloaded the worst of the bunch back into Lightroom and set the controls to Auto still with 75% Sharpness and the results similar to ACR

So my problem is - when batch converting in excess of 100 images which one to you choose ensure that this (or similar) problem(s) don't exist.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I don't want to tweak each and every one to obtain a set of working JPEGs.

PPL v2 maybe produce converted JPEGs that are a tad over saturated BUT it doesn't screw things up like Lightroom.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:03 AM   #8

Previous shots were slightly backlit but this was shot with the dafs facing thesun& not close up.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:08 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That looks almost like it's highlighting the brighter areas for you, the way many raw converters can show you the blown highlights while you're making the initial adjustments to an image using exposure sliders, etc..

My guess is that it's a bug doing just that to the halos that may be appearing at high contrast areas with the sharpening slider cranked up (just a guess, as I have not used Lightroom at all).

It looks too uniform in color to be posterization.
Catbells

I have to agree with Jim C. That looks exactly like the Warnings in RSP. If you turn them on, there Is a Blue Color For One and a red Color. I think one is for Clipping and one is for blown highlights

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:42 AM   #10

Yes Black KnightI agree with JimC, it's blown highlights BUT it's interestingthat PPL v2 andSilkyPix cope in default mode hereas Adobe ACR & Lightroom don't - just a word of warning to the wise.

In all the months that I've converted RAW using PPL v2, I've never experienced anything like this.