Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:44 PM   #1

Last friday I saw a Kiron 105mm for sale on a local website going for 100€ (130$).
There wasn't a picture of the lens only a shot of the box :shock:.

Contacted the seller, and was the second in line ... but he mailed me back that if the deal didn't go through I still could get it.
Saturday evening 11pm he mailed me that I could get the lens for the price, and I could come and take a look at it before buying it.

Sunday afternoon I was there, and It looked really used on the outside ...

I mean the outside of the box. The lens looked like it was never used. He then told me that it had a small problem, the A coupling didn't work. He turned the apperture dial and it didn't go into the A position. Anyway I bought it, as soon as I got back in the car I tried the apperture ring, and pressed the lock button, and everything worked like it should. (I almost feel guilty)

just tried some shots of a African Violet just zooming in every shot and at the end added some achromats
(think the last shots are a 8:1 macro ratio)

I'm almost shure this is the best lens i've got.

Thanks for looking

Ronny

or another angle

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:49 PM   #2

ronny, you will fall in love with this lens. it's super and we both got ours for about the same price. also, don't ever feel bad about someone's ignorance, the info is very easy for him to find if he wanted too. mine is branded vivitar and was made by Kiron. the ratio you mention should say 1:8. 8:1, is 8 times life size

i just won a auction for a panagor 90mm f2.8. it's a superb macro also made by kiron or komine. it's exactly like the like the cult classic vivitar 90mm f2.8. i'll do an evaluation on it and if it's up to specs i'll offer it here FS. got to support my habit somehow.

roy
edit: i forgot to say. ck out the ''passed'' decal.. hardly any abuse.. a very good sign.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:18 PM   #3

I second the motion that you will love that lens. It is nearly impossible to find at a decent price on ebay now, I am glad I got mine when I did (about $200 btw). Along with the F50 1.7, my all time favorite lens. Mine is labeled as a Lester A Dine, same lens but I did not get the built in hood.

Roy, I don't know what an achromat is, but looking at those last pics I think they ARE eight times life size. That is certainly closer than I can get withmine. Nice shots.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:24 PM   #4

Ronny, WOW. I can see why you call it your best lens.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5

Outstanding! Significantly better than my Phoenix, but then, you get what you pay for. Perhaps I'll have to re-think my macro lens, though not yet - I'm saving up for one of the new lenses coming out. The Phoenix isn't that bad - just doesn't hold a candle to this one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:56 PM   #6

I'm witheveryone else. Your going to love it!

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:09 AM   #7

Fantastic shot. Really love no5.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:21 AM   #8

Roy,

The last shots were 8:1, I had the lensturned into the1:1 range and then added 2 achromats ( a 4:1 and a 2:1 ) I haven't boughtany extenders (yet) so ... I guess it was 8:1but with achromats you really never now.

"ck out the ''passed'' decal.. hardly any abuse.. a very good sign" is agreat tip, one to remember next lens :lol:.

The next project now is to find a more than great telelens - somewhere around 400mm. And below 200€, but I'll have to wait some time. This is my 6th lens in 2 months time and I still have a tamron 1.4tc backordered.

Thanks for the remarks

[line]

Tim,

achromats are a descent macro solution for point and shoots. They are not expensive (around 35€)and fit on the front of the lens.You can see them as close up filters that havebeen adjusted so that thefocus doesn'tdrop off around the edges.
I have 2 of them a raynox dcr250 and a raynox dcr150. They would add a zoom of 4:1 and 2:1 to any lens. The big problem is that you have to get real close to the subject, (about 5cm (2")) in this case.

I haven't seen them used much on dslr's but I've got them lying around so.

ps: have got the F50 1.7 also love that lens (had it about a month before the camera:?)

Thanks for the remarks

[line]

Glenn,

thanks - and this was just playing around in the living room with a spotlight on the flower. Can't wait to get an oppurtinity to try it outside.

[line]

MtnGal,

I wasn't really searching for this lens but 100€ was just the amount that I could not say no to, and now I'm justa happy camper with it. Those new lenses that are coming do look great but I just bought my first dslrand ... I don't think they would understand at home

Thanks

[line]

Thanks Fred,

[line]

Thanks Darren

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:45 PM   #9

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Roy,

The last shots were 8:1, I had the lensturned into the1:1 range and then added 2 achromats ( a 4:1 and a 2:1 ) I haven't boughtany extenders (yet) so ... I guess it was 8:1but with achromats you really never now.

"ck out the ''passed'' decal.. hardly any abuse.. a very good sign" is agreat tip, one to remember next lens :lol:.
we call these diopters. best way i've found for checking mag is with a MM ruler. 1:1 will show a little over 23mm when focused on. you do the rest of the math. 8:1 would be full screen of 3mm. that's a lot of mag.

oh, the passed decal does not always work. i've got a 28-105 and the lens is perfect, really perfect. no wear on the decal but it's full of something. it was an ebay freebie.

also, don't feel bad, i bought three last week also. 2 will be available if they ck out.

roy
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:57 PM   #10
TDN

you'll love this one

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=94
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote