Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:08 PM   #1

The Skywatcher 120mm f1000 telescope on sturdy tripod and equatorial mount was not getting any bids on the local on-line auction. The package included a number of eyepieces and a Pentax 'K' adapter.

It did not reach reserve but when the auction closed the vendor offered it to any interested party for the last bid plus $5. Before I could stop myself I had clicked on the OK button and now it is mine! I just have to pay for it!

Soon I will see how this compares with my 1000mm f1:13 Sigma reflector.

I paid a bit less than US$300

LBA is such an affliction!:-)
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:24 PM   #2

john, have you got a link to both of them..
always been interested in astronomy. what would my tak500mmf4.5 convert to?

roy
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:58 PM   #3

Roy, this is what I bought http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=89037330 those are New Zealand dollars of course.

I think your f500 4.5 would be expressed as a 110mm apertureF500mm in telescope circles.

I dont know the optical differences but I am sure your lens makes a better lens than my telescope would make as a lens! Just how much worse remains to be seen.

The Sigma 1000mm reflector I have is the earlier type of Sigma mirror lens, I dont know what improvements they made.

The mirror is f13.5 and along with having all the other things that people dont like about mirror lenses I find it very hard to focus such a dark image in my *ist DS.

Opinions as to the suitability of a telescope of the type I have bought for terestrial photograph vary to the extremes. The main objections seem to be small, fixed,aperture (this one is f1:8 so not so bad) and chromatic aberations. If it does not pan out I can always buya REAL long and fast lens, which would really have to be paid for,of course I may have to go to the mall and kidnap some kids to sell for medical experiments.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4

John,

Your heading gave me the impression that you did not expect much from the lens/tele you are to test.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:55 AM   #5

Daniel, there are number of people online who strongly dispute that a telescope could ever be used as a camera lens, I really dont know but as yet I cant see why not. Of course there are other who swear by telescopes for 'digiscoping' etc.

My heading was intended to acknowledge this uncertainty.

Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:26 PM   #6

It has arrived! Four packages and everything in good order, just a few specks of fungus(?) on the little finder scope.

The main scope is perfect and the tripod is really sturdy.

Unfortunately the tripod has an equatorial mount which is no doubt ideal for looking at objects in space but really awkward for land use, maybe I will spend some more and get a simple azimuth and elevation type mount.

The camera mount works perfectly and the image is correct (i.e. not reversed or inverted) in the viewfinder. A few short scans around the local landscape did not show any chromatic aberrations.

The first thing one notices with this is that the assembled device is HUGE! I doubt it would fit in the trunk of a small car, even disassembled but fortunately I have 'ute' (i.e. an Australian style pickup).

Look forward to a few example shots from this weekend! Weather and chores permitting..

Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:02 PM   #7

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
I doubt it would fit in the trunk of a small car, even disassembled but fortunately I have 'ute' (i.e. an Australian style pickup).
that's the one with no body and a wooden crate for a bed???right???

how about a pic of the beast??
looking forward to results.

roy
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:49 PM   #8

Well Roy I am sure there are some 'utes' in Australia that would meet that description!:-) Here is a link to a page showing mine when I bought it near ten years ago http://www.uteman.com.au/gallery/sho...amp;StartRec=0

If the weather is still good when I get home this evening I will take a couple of shots.

Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:45 PM   #9

:blah: lol
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:02 AM   #10

K1000 mounted on the f1000 f1:8! Now all I need is for interesting subjects to walk in front of it, anything up to a mile or so distant.

The postman's van, a bit more that 500 metres, say 600 yards away in the fading evening light. Shutter 1/45 ISO 200, 100% crop.