Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:24 PM   #11
TDN

Does the flash fire at faster shutter speeds than 1/180?

If so then it has high speed sync and therefore P-TTL I think...(not sure about this though...someone who has a sigma or pentax flash, please confirm?)
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:57 PM   #12

I guess I am confused since on the Promaster site it says:

PROMASTER FTD-7000M
• Guide Number: 138 (ASA 100, 105mm)
• TTL Auto Range: 2-99' (ASA 100)
• Power Source: 4 AA Alkaline Batteries or
Promaster Rechargeable NiMH Batteries
• Recycle Time: 0.3-10 Seconds
• Angle of Coverage: 78° H 60° V
• Covers 24mm lens on 35mm cameras
• Motorized Zoom: 24mm-105mm
• Bounce Angle: -7° to 90°
• Swivel Angle: 0° to 180°
• Flash Modes: TTL Auto, Manual, Multiple,
Modeling, Slave/Remote
• AF Illuminator for Autofocusing
• Full TTL Dedication
• Front & Rear Flash Ready Light
• Multifunction LCD Display Panel

I don't see anywhere that it claims to be P-TTL compatable. I also can not find any modules that claim the be P-TTL compatable on the Promaster site.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:21 PM   #13

No it doesn't, but neither does the AF360...

Sarah, Hayward, and I have all used it successfully on Pentax P-TTL Cameras

So, either the flash is P-TTL or my *istDL works in TTL, either way... I'm happy with the flash. :blah:
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:05 PM   #14

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
No it doesn't, but neither does the AF360...

Sarah, Hayward, and I have all used it successfully on Pentax P-TTL Cameras

So, either the flash is P-TTL or my *istDL works in TTL, either way... I'm happy with the flash. :blah:
Sorry, but I think that Sarah used it with a DS which would work because it has a TTL sensor in the light box (as does the D) [Edit:-- she shot the pic of the lens with a K100 -- I'm thinking that she got lucky here]. There are no modules for the Promaster 7000 flashes, AFAIK they were dedicated units and TTL. I think Hayward's shot worked because a TTL flash will fire at full power on a P-TTL (or any other non-TTL) body, and obviously full power was called for at this distance. This flash should work with the D at ISO 200-800, but exposureswill probably get a little iffy at higher ISO.

Does it pre-flash? Can you see the flash in the viewfinder just before it blacks out? Compare it to the internal flash with an A, F, FA , or DA lens. If not, then there's no way for the camera to get exposure information and pass it back to the flash.

Try this with your DL or K10: Shoot consecutive shots (at a with any lens, in M mode with the lens wide open with the shutter at 1/180. Then change the ISO (only) from 200 through 3200 at one stop intervals for each shot. Do the same thing, keeping the ISO constant and the shutter speed at 1/180, this time changing the aperture from widest to f22, again at one stop intervals. If the flash is P-TTL compatible, all of the shots should look pretty much the same.

I don't think they will . . . but I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if that's the case.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:08 AM   #15

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
mtclimberwrote:
Quote:
* Promaster External Flash Units use a seperate flash module for various camera models. In researching Promaster Flash equipment, I have discovered three different Pentax flash modules. So please, be very careful when selecting a Promaster External Flash to be absolutely sure that you are getting the actual flash module that your DSLR camera requires.
Actually that is true of the 5000 series ... but the 7000M they were actually specific dedicated complete flash unit versions. Still sort of a module at the bottom... but not detachable

And looking at the Promaster site the only actually modues mentioned are the 5000 series.

The rest seem to be built ground up for the specific camera, in the dedicated line.

Acutally maybe a marketing thing.... for those with multi platform cameras, maybe they though better to sell them entire new flashes rather than just new modules.

Probably makes them cheaper to build as well. And they only do the major 4.... Pentax, Canon, Nikon and Minolta (which of course now probably means SONY too).

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:21 AM   #16

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Does it pre-flash? Can you see the flash in the viewfinder just before it blacks out? Compare it to the internal flash with an A, F, FA , or DA lens. If not, then there's no way for the camera to get exposure information and pass it back to the flash.
The built in K10D flash doesn't I ever noticed unless it is low enough light it feels it MUST to get AF, then again for close range the PM 7000M adds an IR AF light to make it even les necessary. A flash shouldn't actually have to flash for the brains to know what power level is needed, given the lens/AE feed back.

Initial up close I did have some problems to start... but finally realized that due to the really wimmpy 10D internal flash it was still cranked up +2 EV.... once set back to zero no problems.

EDIT.... but now you did get me curious.... and yes closing my left eye I can see a flash through the VF before the mirror flips so guess that answers that question regardless... certainly seems to be P-TTL compat.

(Maybe the internal did just never noticed.)

Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:31 AM   #17

Hi Heyward,

I stand corrected. It's pretty strange that Promaster doesn't credit this feature in its specs. P-TTL's been around since 2001, so it's entirely possible that they had this feature.

I wonder what other undocumented features they might have missed in their spec sheet?

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:12 AM   #18

Well if its been around that long maybe they just didn't think it necessary to include the P, as it is sold as a Dedicated Pentax Auto flash. ... And I don''t think the 7000M is all that old a model.

Their description of features on the site (Which most sellers just copy) are generic to the 7000M Flash for all brands.... and at the end they just list, the 4 different part numbers for the Pentax, Canon, Nikon and Minolta versions.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:22 AM   #19

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

I don't see anywhere that it claims to be P-TTL compatable. I also can not find any modules that claim the be P-TTL compatable on the Promaster site.

Tom
Again that description is for features common to all versions... not Pentax specifically.
The 7000M does not use modulues, they are specific complete units for each of the 4 camera brands, which if you note they mention the part numbers for at the end.

Granted they could be clearer, but one would think a current model Dedicated flash is going to support a brand's camera system that has been out for 5 years or more before it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:43 AM   #20

If you go to the Promaster web site and click on the "service and support" link then on the next page click on the "Ask our Digital Flash Expert" link you will get the opportunity to send a message. You can ask them if the 7000m is P-TTl or just TTL. They will respond.

I have a 7500DX for a Konica-Minolta. I didn't buy it until I asked their digital flash expert if it would work on my KM A200. At the time their web site did not show the 7500DX as compatible with the A200. They did some testing for me and got back to me in about a week and confirmed it would work. Then they updated their site showing compatibility with the A200. As was mentioned, it's a great flash with the secondary fill flash feature. I would also like to get a Pentax version for my K100D. By the way, the Minolta version is TTL, P-TTL, and ADI compatible, it does a pre-flash.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote