Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:12 AM   #31

Hi. This is my first post to this forum and thread, which I encountered when searching the Web for "K100D promaster flash." I'm also considering purchasing an FTD7000M flash for Pentax and got a similar canned response from Promaster's Flash Expert...

See below.

I think they may just be trying to upsell us all. If the Pentax AF 360 worked with Pentax SLRs pre-digital and is positioned as also working with today's Pentax DSLRs, this Promaster (which was introduced a few years AFTER the 360) should also work and not cause any damage... What do you all think? Promaster just trying to upsell us?

"Kevin:

The Promaster FTD 7000M is a great unit for 35mm cameras, but it was
not designed for the
newer specifications or TTL flash systems of Pentax digital SLR
cameras. This flash will not work
properly with the Pentax K100D.
Promaster has 3 flash units that are designed for the low sync
voltage requirements and TTL flash
systems of digital cameras.The Promaster 7500DX for Pentax #6335 would
be the digital compatible
equivilant of your FTD 7000M.
The Promaster 5550DX and 5750DX flash units that utilize an
interchangeable module system
would also be compatible with the K100D when used with the #5432DX
module for Pentax.

Flashexpert"

kevrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:12 AM   #32

Hi. This is my first post to this forum and thread, which I encountered when searching the Web for "K100D promaster flash." I'm also considering purchasing an FTD7000M flash for Pentax and got a similar canned response from Promaster's Flash Expert...

See below.

I think they may just be trying to upsell us all. If the Pentax AF 360 worked with Pentax SLRs pre-digital and is positioned as also working with today's Pentax DSLRs, this Promaster (which was introduced a few years AFTER the 360) should also work and not cause any damage... What do you all think? Promaster just trying to upsell us?

"Kevin:

not designed for the
module for Pentax.

Flashexpert"

Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:12 AM   #33

See below.

"Kevin:

not designed for the
module for Pentax.

Flashexpert"

Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:50 PM   #34

So, which of the 3 different flash modules works correctly with the Pentax K10D and the Promaster 5750DX?

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:46 PM   #35

Couldn't say... but there is only one Pentax version of the 7000M and though a module it is not removable... changeable... they are actually individual separate complete flash units for each make supported.

PS Still no 7550DX Pentax unit and the 5000 series is considerably less capable.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:57 PM   #36

I just bought the Promaster FTD7000M from Wolfe's Camera. The flash unit is not performing p-ttl, it is firing at full power. The differnce between my flash and Hayward's flash unit is the fastener; mine is completely round, the other is flower pedal shaped.
thear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:16 AM   #37

thear wrote:
Quote:
IThe differnce between my flash and Hayward's flash unit is the fastener; mine is completely round, the other is flower pedal shaped.
Not sure how you know that.... I never said it I don't think... but you may well be right..... and though Promaster has yet to release a 7500DX Pentax version (last I looked at their site... just the lesser 5700DXseries) maybe they did cripple the P 7000M's at that point....but would seem real STUPIDwithout a P 7500DX realease.
Mine was used from B&H (so no idea actrually how old) and actualy I was supposedly sold a 5700.... oh DARN I got the better one. :-)

Mine works just fine... zoom head to lens FL tracking and P-TTT preflash (and does have the star/flower wheel vs round) Close up it is only accurate at 100 ISO , which is just fine with me as it allows me to have 100-200 ft flash range with a reflective subject at ISO 800/1600. (as the my OP post clearly shows)

And why maybe not good for K100D for which ISO 200 is the min, and therefore always at least a stop over exposeded if not compensateded for.

What would be the point of close up ISO 800 flash?, except the just not paying attention DUHHH factor?

Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:23 AM   #38

mandelm wrote:
Quote:
Here is the reply I got from Promaster when I asked about a strobe for my K100D

The Promaster FTD5950 is a great flash for 35mm cameras, but it was not
designed for the low sync voltage requirements or new ttl flash systems of
digital cameras. This flash will not work properly or safely with the Pentax K100D.
OK I know that is their PARTY line (though last I checked still no 7500DX for Pentax)

But took my voltmeter and the triger voltage for the 7000M is just standard digital logic 5V (actually like 4.75 measured) So that is just marketing BS as far as I am concerened, no potentially damaging voltage there.

First and foremost works fine... (They claim it wouldn't besides damage), nor any damage after several months Of REGULAR NEAR DAILY USE.

Now it does only function P-TTL properly at ISO 100 close up.... I know 100D min is ISO 200 so a stop over.... not sure about the *isT's before it.... but why things would tend to be overexposed close on a K100D if not compensated for.

But K10Ddoes have ISO 100 and close up P-TTL is just fine exposure wise with the 7000M

And gives you 100+ ft flash reach at higher ISO's
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:30 AM   #39

Hi!

I'm looking now for flash for my k10D too.
And I askedFlashexperttoo :-)
What thay answered:

The Promaster FTD 7000M for Pentax is not compatible with thePentax K10D.

It is not TTL, P-TTL or Auto on this camera. It will only fire at full power on the

Pentax K10D.

:roll:
Can you tell me is it really allways fire on full power?
Or may be there is full Auto mode on FTD7000M?
And I will be very glad if you can grlp me to find where I can buy this Promaster for your price?
Google don't help me :-(

I'm from Siberia, Russia, and it's too dificult to find real flash for not a lot of bucks for K10D :roll:
Thanks!!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:37 AM   #40

At ISO 100 it is designed to work at, mine seems to fire just fine. P-TTL preflash, auto zoom tracking with lens, AF assist light and all. (K10D ver 1.11) Yes it will blow out pict. at higher ISO's close up, but will also at 800 will give you 100 ft range.

Despite their claims otherwise, and again I have measured the trigger voltage at or below standard digital logic 5v, so I can't figure the contact BS they claim either, and beig just trigger there should not be any real current involved
I have used mine almost daily for at least a half dozen shots, for going on two months now... no problems with flash or camera.

I make no guarantees but so far no problems in function, or damage.

Though note "thear'" 's post up a few perhaps they have made some changes to them... other than just the physical lock knob difference.... but mine (older used) works OK

And now that I think about it that is about as long as the K10D had even been out, before I read old post on that "flashexpert" line.