Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:25 AM   #1

The only thing that has disappointed me about the K10D is its really whimpy built in FLASH even EV boosted very limited range.

So I finally got an external.... used from B&H for $35

It is a Pentax Dedicated Promaster FTD 7000M..... actually the listing (an even invoice) was for the lesser 5700, but gee darn!!! what was delived was a 7000M :-)
http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...roduct=FTD7000

One of the niceties about the 7000 vs 5700 is the flash head zoom is motorized and will auto track with the lens zoom. Also more function/mode options, plus an illuinated LCD operation display (just wish the test button wasn't right next to the power switch :roll: )

Also a nice thing it does is, it add an IR AF assist lamp, the 10D also lacks though does quite well in low light anyway. It does help with near targets( they claim 16ft) in very dark conditions though. And much less annoying than a flash strobing burst.

Damn decent flash for $35, and looks near mint, still even had box and manual.

With a guide number of 138 at ISO 100 it can kick butt when it needs too, as in the example below..... Good 70-90 ft to the building and the building is at least that long.

EDIT sorry I should have said I did somewhat bright/contrast enhance this in Irfanview.... but enough essential exposere to do it minorly and no real added noise for ISO 800.

Albeit this was at ISO 800 so guide number is probably effectively up around 280, but still I'm impressed. Got some shots of boats about 80+ feet out with sunset behind them decently fill illuminated too.

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:11 AM   #2

I own this flash as well and I think it's just as good as the Pentax brand flashes, if not better. The one thing I really like about it, over theothers,is the small fill flash for use while bouncing. That way you get the best of both worlds. And I, too, got it pretty cheap ($45).

Try and find ANY other P-TTL flash for under $50 or even under $100... it's not happening.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:58 AM   #3

this is ttl only :-(?
i want one for my K100D..
so this will work but only in manual mode?
johnyeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:08 AM   #4

No, This flash is P-TTL compatible with the correct module... Works with both my *istDL and *istD... FANTASTIC DEAL!!!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:08 AM   #5

johnyeros wrote:
Quote:
this is ttl only :-(?
i want one for my K100D..
so this will work but only in manual mode?
I seocnd that.
The Promaster only does TTL not p-TTL. If you need manual flash there are a lot of choice.
I have Pentax 280T and AF360 (which I broke).

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:45 AM   #6

grrr. make me want to get a K10D now :-p!

when i did my camera research. i didn't do research on flash techology.. but i think in time, we'll get after market flash at reasonable price.. will just have to wait.. until then... the sun and moon will be my flash :-p
johnyeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:52 AM   #7

Hold on a sec. This is a TTL flash. The K10D needs PTTL. Therefore the flash will fire, but it is not fully dedicated.

Plenty of those type around on ebay.

That is why the proper flash is so expensive.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:04 PM   #8

THE 7000M IS PTTL COMPATIBLE WITH THE CORRECT MODULE... I know, I have one and it works with my *istD (TTL & PTTL) and my *istDL (PTTL ONLY).

If you look at Sarah's Flash thread from a while back, she did a whole lesson on the P-TTL Compatible Promaster flashes.

AGAIN, THIS FLASH IS COMPATIBLE WITH P-TTL WHEN USING THE CORRECT MODULE.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:25 PM   #9

Yes the 7000M (Pentax version) is fully functional in any mode on the K10D, and is clearly gettting full communication as the LCD exposere/distance guide changes as you change the camera settings, as well as mentioned flash zoom properly tracking with the lens zoom.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:13 PM   #10

mtclimberwrote:
Quote:
While we are reviewing, let's also take a look at the P-TTL External Flashes that are currently, as of 08/07/2006, available:

Promaster 5750DX*

Promaster 5550DX*

Promaster 7500DX*

* Promaster External Flash Units use a seperate flash module for various camera models. In researching Promaster Flash equipment, I have discovered three different Pentax flash modules. So please, be very careful when selecting a Promaster External Flash to be absolutely sure that you are getting the actual flash module that your DSLR camera requires.
mtclimberwrote:
Quote:
Flash Thread Lesson Six

As I had previously promised, this will be a quick look at the Promaster Flash Unit. What makes this flash unit different than the Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL is that there are TWO flashes built into the flash unit structure. Here is a photo showing the small fill-in flash unit that is installed just above the large red lens on the photo electric light sensor.

The next photo shows the back of the Promaster Flash Unit.

So as a test, I took a close-up photo of a Pentax 28-80 lens, using the Promaster Flash. As you know lately we have seen several samples of over exposure when taking photos at distances, measured from the flash to the subject of less than 12 feet when using an external flash unit. Please remember this rule.

When taking Macro or close-up shots when using an external flash at distances of LESS THAN 12 feet, the external flash unit's main flash head must be in the upright full bounce position.

So the purpose of our test photo done with this Promaster Flash Unit was to see how the Promaster Flash Unit handled a full bounce flash photo while simultaneously using that small extra flash unit for a secondary fill-in flash. Here is how our test photo looks.

You can clearly see that the small simultaneous flash from the flash fill-in secondary flash worked quite well. So we can conclude that the 2 flash units in the Promaster Flashare indeed effective. This photo was taken handheld.