Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:09 PM   #11

Widest I ever owned was an excellent Phoenix badged Cosina 19-35mm. Like other Cosina/Phoenix lenses, it is rather flimsy since their philosophy has always been to produce the best possible optics for a low price, thus mechanical robustness is not a pre-requisite. Since it is a properly corrected wide angle it produces some excellent wide views on my Minolta 7000. You should have lots of fun with a 16mm.

As for film, any decent colour negative film around ISO 200 should produce good results (Fuji tends to have punchier colours while Kodak is somewhat more subdued). I have seen surprisingly good results from an ISO 1600 Kodak professional print film, grain was only visible on larger prints.

Have fun

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:00 AM   #12

Ira,

The film thing is getting pricier , well in comparison.
It costs around $10 (film + development) a pop.
That should make me spend more time in composition and framing. That may be good for me or any photographer.

The hassle/pain/joy re 35mm is no where near those who shoot MF or LF .

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:53 AM   #13

I should have labelled the subject matter as 'Film may be dead'
There are quite a few hassle:
*Cost $10 a pop (film + development)
*Lag of time
*Lack of high resolution scanning facility
I found out that Costco use only low end resolution for scanning pict for burning a CD. In order to get a decent resolution CD I have to go to certain place (i.e. downtown Toronto). There are less and less outlet doing that
Nothing come easy man

Daniel, Toronto
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:29 AM   #14

(posted in new thread) Fuji print film, Pentax MZ-S, FA* 300mm, Nikon film scanner.

Film isn't exactly dead since cost of digital includes:

Expensive camera
SD/Compact Flash cards
Expensive computer and software
Expensive printer, paper and ink

How many rolls of film and processing could I buy for the cost of the above, pluss I get more DR with film.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:56 AM   #15

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
(posted in new thread) Fuji print film, Pentax MZ-S, FA* 300mm, Nikon film scanner.

Film isn't exactly dead since cost of digital includes:

Expensive camera
SD/Compact Flash cards
Expensive computer and software
Expensive printer, paper and ink

How many rolls of film and processing could I buy for the cost of the above, pluss I get more DR with film.

Tom
Apparently the camera eats batt and the one I got died. Checked the local camera place $15 apiece. About to give it up until I was reminded by Tom and of course his pict.
I checked ebay and got 8 new batt at $16 shipping included from another fellow whose camera died a yr ago(don't know its brand). Now there is nothing to blame. Well I can still blame the noice of the shutter. DL is loud? Wait until you hear this one miles away

Daniel

Edited Mar 12
Sequel re the F50mm1.7
The lens is amazing and has proved it value as almost a must have like FA50mm1.4. Subsequently I ebayed my FA50mm at cost to another fellow from Quebec.