Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:02 PM   #1

It is really exciting that I got a film camera SF1 and an F50mmF1.7 from a great deal right in Toronto. I definiely make some money if I wish from this deal. They are in absolutely mint condition. Playing with an automatic film camera by justing looking at the view from Zenitar is eye opening. It is huge and has a lot of plastic. Seems very easy to handle and metering is straight forward . Got to buy some film which I think is pain. But I will manage.
Finally I do not have to deal with WB issue

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:20 PM   #2

sure you do.

roy
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

White balance becomes a much more expensive issue, and what do you do with a half a roll of tungsten film when you are outside in the bright sun?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:07 AM   #4
PDL

You buy another SF1 body and put in a roll of Ecktachrome E200.

Don't change film - just change bodies. One nice thing about film is - that a roll of film will fit into any body. (I have4 35mm SLR bodies 3-Fu*ica - 1 Pentax (SF1 at that)).

The last big trip I took using film I used Kodachrome 25 in the ST8*1, Ecktachrome 160 in the ST9*1 and Ecktachrome IR in the AZ*1. Got to the point once where I had each of my three lenses of the 4 lenses I owned (28mm f3.5, 55mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5) (left the 43-75mm in the bag) and Kodachrome 25 - did not change lenses -- just changed cameras. (All of these 30 year + old cameras still work too) -- Will we be able to say the same with our digital cameras in 30 years?

Digital is a lot easier - but boy I looked like I knew what I was doing. He he he

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:51 AM   #5

PDL wrote:
Quote:
You buy another SF1 body and put in a roll of Ecktachrome E200.

Don't change film - just change bodies. One nice thing about film is - that a roll of film will fit into any body. (I have¬*4 35mm SLR bodies 3-Fu*ica - 1 Pentax (SF1 at that)).

The last big trip I took using film I used Kodachrome 25 in the ST8*1, Ecktachrome 160 in the ST9*1 and Ecktachrome IR in the AZ*1. Got to the point once where I had each of my three lenses of the 4 lenses I owned (28mm f3.5, 55mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5) (left the 43-75mm in the bag) and Kodachrome 25 - did not change lenses -- just changed cameras. (All of these 30 year + old cameras still work too) -- Will we be able to say the same with our digital cameras in 30 years?

Digital is a lot easier - but boy I looked like I knew what I was doing.¬* He he he

PDL
Thanks for your input. I am groping in the dark as well. I just have to relearn whatever I left off 40 yrs ago in high school. But this camera is very very advanced and its autofocus with F50mm1.7 is spot on as far as I can see. No film and no pict yet - I just feel so.
Guess what F50mm1.7 (which was the stock lens for this slr) has become another cult lens now. It is a beauty.
I want to see how the extreme wide end of my Zenitar 16mm can give me which is where full frame (full 35mm) body can provide. It will not be my main camera- no way.
We are heading into a storm in a few hours and hopefully I have some shooting opp next week.

Daniel , Toronto
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:58 AM   #6
PDL

Enjoy the camera - The buttons to control the thing can be confusing until you just sit and play with it for a while. There is a much lower "button pushing" count per frame on the SF1 as opposed to what I do with digital. I really wish there was some way to decouple the AF from the shutter button though. However - put the AF on S not C (continuous) and you (the human) can regain control. Also there may be heavy pushage of the ml button (meter lock) - yet again the human controls.

Put this baby on rapid fire and burn up 36 frames quicker than you can think. The high pitched scream of the motor drive is just pure music.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures - I got mine with a Tokina 28-70mm zoom. Really wish I had the 50mm though. Old glass is good glass.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:53 AM   #7

Get ready for some excitement when you get back the photos using the Zintar in full frame. The images I get with my MZ-S using my Pentax 17mm Fisheye are just short of amazing using film compared to the cropped ones using digital.

The extra DR you get will blow you away also.

Kodachrome 25, that trip must have been a long time ago, but what an amazing slide film that allows very large enlargements. I have some 16"x20" prints from K-25 that are sharp no matter how close you get to them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:04 PM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Get ready for some excitement when you get back the photos using the Zintar in full frame. The images I get with my MZ-S using my Pentax 17mm Fisheye are just short of amazing using film compared to the cropped ones using digital.

Tom
Tom,
You just put in words what I have been thinking. That is why I am almost like a kid waiting for the weather to clear out.
O man . No histogram. I want it and I miss it.
Actually I would love Pentax to go full frame ( possibly no go though) and that is why.

Daniel
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:33 PM   #9

Here you go the first batch of film pict (asa 400 Kodak) from SF1 & Zenitar 16mm. I have also found out that a lot of good film are not even available in my neighbourhood. This is the one that I have found out somewhere at home readily. Likely an expired one.

As I still have the filter adapter on my fisheye as shown here

The adapter is shown around 4 corners.

The adapter is fixed with just 2 drops of crazy glue and can be easily taken off. Not a big deal as any defished pict won't show it anyway. Or I can pp that out easily.

I was not overwhelmed (as I was expecting by the FoV or dynamic range). Blame the weather or the film? I am to do better next batch of film. Still shopping though

This is a Zenitar shot behind a protective plexi shield

Daniel, Toronto

Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:36 PM   #10

A defished pict from Zenitar beind plexi shield . If not for film this is usu difficlt with WB. As you can see the pict is pretty grainy. I am to buy more prof film at sas 200 . The last few days we hardly have any fine weather.

Daniel , Toronto
Attached Images