Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:39 PM   #11

I like the tennis shots. Sharp, with just enough blur to show the motion.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:20 PM   #12

Went back today and went lower in the stands.Is this better? Can't decide if I prefer the cropped version or the full person, but thought I did all right getting the expression. I still didn't try for a smaller DOF - still trying to get my timing down (I'm using a manual focus lens and haven't tried continuous shooting yet).

Cropped version:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:21 PM   #13

Here's the whole person. I like the fact that he's completely in the air, and you miss that in the cropped version.
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:56 AM   #14

Great motion shots

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:17 AM   #15

Wow! Now that's a shot! I agree. I actually like the whole body shot better. You can still his his face very well. But with the whole body you can feel the motion better expressed in his arms, racket, and bonus for catching him up in the air. I love it.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Here's the whole person. I like the fact that he's completely in the air, and you miss that in the cropped version.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:52 AM   #16

Before I read Royce's input I thought "Wow, now that's a shot!". Can't decide which of the two I prefer, but I think it's the cropped version. Or the full frame. Or the cropped...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:17 PM   #17

Thanks for the complements and thanks, Hung, for the suggestion. It was fun to try my hand at action shots (not normally my thing). It seems to me that tennis is a relatively easy sport to photograph because the action is contained in a(comparitively) small area, and you can anticipate when and where to shoot. I'm sure that I wouldn't have as much ease shooting football (either American football or everyone else's football), or any of the indoor sports. I can also see how having more mp would help (along with a good quality, long tele lens), so you can crop closer and still have a good amount of information - important if you are taking pictures from a grandstand.

One last lesson learned - don't use spot metering if the guy is wearing a black teeshirt. The day before the players were wearing white or light grey shirts, so I had switched to spot metering to try not to blow out the shirts. Forgot to change it back to either matrix or center weighted, and one (otherwise nice) shot was overexposed, and I couldn't manage to get it to look right in Photolab.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:13 PM   #18

Great shots, your lunch hours are a little more interesting than mine.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:31 PM   #19

Great first attempt. I like the full body shot best.
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:21 PM   #20

Hey Harriet,

I am chiming in with everyone else and saying "Wow, now that is a shot." However, I think "Totally Wacky" Roger has showed us the solution to this dilemma of which shot is better. Use the full frame but put a blow up of his face in one corner . . . best of both worlds!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote