Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1

Yesterday I went to the Botanical Gardens and took some flower pictures. They aren't as good as some photos posted recently, but thought a couple came out OK (still don't think they are as good as I would like). I was using the Phoenix lens, I think it was $140 new so it isn't top quality, and I'm still using PhotoLab and PS 6.

Today I went by a tennis center and decided to try my hand at sports. In my now 10 minutes of experience with shooting sports - do you suppose that makes me an expert? (NOT!). Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

K10 Jaws:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:00 PM   #2

There's always something blooming in the Botanical Gardens - it's a wonderful place to spend a lunch break. I have no idea what kind of flower this is, but it's kind of interesting.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:02 PM   #3

My first attempt at sports. At least I tried a sport where the person is fairly predictable. These were taken from the top of a grandstand with the A*300 lens.

My first ever sport photo:
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:04 PM   #4

That first one would have been better with a faster shutter speed. I thought this one was better. The tennis center is fairly large, with high stands (they've had some international competitions there).
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5

Last one - for those who might not know, the lens I was using is a manual focus and I was using single shot, not continuous shooting. It was a fun, interesting lunch break today.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:17 PM   #6

Nice shots. I like the 2nd one of the lavender flower bud. Great details on the veins of the petals. The tennis shots also came out sharp. What I have read on some of the sport photography forums is that it's important to get a clear shot of the athletes face. The look of concentration and determination frozen in the moment of the action, brings the viewer into the moment. Tough to do at the top of the grand stands. Try to get down lower and closer to the action.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:19 PM   #7

Hi mtngal,
if the lens isn't top quality, imho the shots are.
Nice work
Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the complements!

Hung - The tennis shots were an impulsive thing - I was actually in the area looking at something entirely different. When I walked by I noticed the gates were open and people were on the courts, so I walked in and took a couple of shots. I wasn't sure if I would get chased off if I ventured too far down with that big lens on the camera - no one noticed me standing by the gate at the top of the grandstands. Next time I'll venture down a bit and see if anyone notices. It would be interesting to try for a larger aperture for faster shutter speeds and less DOF, and to see if I could do it with a manual focus lens.

That Phoenix macro lens is really better opticallythan the price indicates - it's been well worth the little I paid for it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:26 PM   #9

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots. I like the 2nd one of the lavender flower bud. Great details on the veins of the petals. The tennis shots also came out sharp. What I have read on some of the sport photography forums is that it's important to get a clear shot of the athletes face. The look of concentration and determination frozen in the moment of the action, brings the viewer into the moment. Tough to do at the top of the grand stands. Try to get down lower and closer to the action.
Agreed - very nice, great detail
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:31 AM   #10

Very nice, I don't know of anything you should change.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote