Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:54 AM   #11

Cost is a factor but then I finally got to the point that it was more important to have a device that I liked and could trust. I tend to shoot a lot of picture even on day trips. My record was 6,000 pictures in 13 hours. This was done most in 2MP burst mode with my K10D. I shot second by second shots of waves breaking on rocks, the Queen Mary 2 coming in to San Francisco, etc. so I ended up with a lot of the same shots, just with slight movement. I ended up combining these in to a digital flip book for a motion study I was doing for a photography class. I also shot the same thing using a camcorder. I found the still image flip books much more motion interesting than I did the video footage.

I think it would be nice to be able to use the color LCD screen to check images and make sure that I got good sharp shots of the subjects I photographed instead of waiting until I got home only to find out that I didn't get the shots I wanted. The Epson may have only a 4" screen but it is 640x480 and that is the resolution of a VGA monitor so I have hopes that I can indeed use it to check focus.

I think my other complaint about most of the portable storage devices is they try to do other things. Like play MP3 files, playback video, record audio, tune in FM radio and things like that. Things that I could careless about. But, the companies waste time and generally make a horrible interface to deal with these things. I just want a top notch device I can off load my images to, view them and trust that it will be reliable. I am hoping the Epson P-3000 will do this, even though it does do MP3, etc.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:52 PM   #12

Just to let everyone know I got the P-3000 today and it DOES indeed support both the K10D's DNG and PEF Raw files as well as the JPG files. JPGs can be zoomed in to 400% Raw files only to 100%. It can also display some meta data as well.

So far it is a nice unit. Speedy, easy to use and the screen in fantastic.

Robert
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:07 PM   #13

Sounds great, keep us posted.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:11 PM   #14

I have the P2000 and I find it an excellent device for quick downloading in the field and also for swapping files with other photographers in the field. (CF and SD)

The high resolution screen is awesome and I located a small program on the net for converting movies and video to the supported format, so I also have a few movies for when I am out and about. It also plays all my MP3s too.

I like the ability to select a folder of pictures and have the P2000 do a slide show of my images with a mp3 track playing as background music.

I must check the Epson site to see if there is a firmware upgrade for K10D support for the P2000.

I highly recommend the Epson viewers. One caveat though, If you want to keep your original image file names then transfer the images to the device and do not create a folder for them otherwise the device renames your images.

With each new folder, it renames the image as EVP or EPV00001, not an issue until your download to your PC and find you have several files with the same name.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:32 PM   #15

Thanks for the info on the file naming. I hope it proves more trust worthy than the HyperDrive it replaced. I didn't think I would use a view screen, but now that I have it I like it.

Robert
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:53 AM   #16

Epson doesn't appear to have done a firmware update YET!!!! for the P2000.

:sad::sad::ak47::ak47::twisted::twi sted::angry::angry::-?

I do hope they do, I would hate to think I have to buy ANOTHER Epson, I have so many bloody gadgets for my cameras now that I need two back packs. :lol::lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:10 PM   #17

I know what you mean, it seems like I carry more stuff to support the camera than I do camera. But, I have tried going with just the camera and a lens and a couple of memory cards and every time I do I regret it as I also wish I had brought something else. My fear is that sooner rather than later I will end up looking like a pack mule out on a trail some place.

Robert
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:50 PM   #18

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
My fear is that sooner rather than later I will end up looking like a pack mule out on a trail some place.

Robert
I already feel like a pack mule on the trail - went out today on one of the more difficult "trails" (it starts off as a steep abandoned logging road and then gradually dwindles down to a rarely used trail) with the 200 Slingshot over a hydration pack. I've kept taking stuff out of the hydration pack, so I can carry more camera equipment. That's fine until you rub a blister and discover that the band-aides have been sacrified for a polarizer!

I'm going to have to take a look at one of those Epsons, they sound really neat.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:47 PM   #19

I like the back pain and getting tired. And, that is just getting the stuff out of the car.

Robert
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:47 PM   #20

Duplicate Post Deleted by Fast Fingered Poster!