Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:37 PM   #1

I see from the list of supported RAW images for the Epson P-3000 portable storage device that it supports the Pentax K10D's RAW file. Which format the DNG or the PEF? Has anyone used the P-3000 with the K10D? What do you think. I have a 60GB HyperDrive but I am not happy with it. I have had too many problems with it going dead while on the read with a full or what should have been a full charge of the batteries. I just don't trust it and so I am now looking at the P-3000 as a replacement. But, I shoot RAW only now and if I am going to pay the high price for the P-3000 I want to make sure it will work well with the K10D's RAW images.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:28 PM   #2

If any one is interested I contacted Epson support and was told that the support for the K10D with the Epson P-3000 device is for both the DNG and PEF formats.

Robert
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:31 PM   #3

Did a google search for you.

According to this site

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/epson/pages/p3000.html

the viewer supports the following
• Nikon: D100/D1H/D2H/D2Hs/D1X/D2X/D70/D70s/D50/D200
• Canon: EOS 5D/D30/D60/10D/Kiss Digital/1Ds Mark II/Kiss Digital N
• Konica: –7Digital /α Sweet Digital
• Pentax:*istD/*istDs/*istDL/*istDs2/*istDL2
• Olympus: E–1/E–300/E–500/E–330
• Fuji Film: S2Pro/S3Pro

In addition it also supports DNG to keep it compatable.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:40 PM   #4

But that like the Epson site (which now lists the Pentax K10D as supported) doesn't tell you which formats. The K10D does both DNG and PEF files and I wanted to know which the Epson P-3000 supports the DNG and/or the PEF. According to Epson Support it supports both the DNG and PEF files. I just ordered one so we will see.

Thanks,

Robert
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:46 PM   #5

I'm always interested in how wellthese storage devices work. I've been doing most of my travel by auto and so don't mind carrying the laptop, but one of these days I'll want to fly somewhere and not drag a laptop along.

Having it support PEF will be a definite advantage - the files are much smaller. Let us know what its like when you get it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:30 AM   #6

Well, I have looked at several other devices and finally decided to just stop wasting money and get the good one. I like the high resolution screen maybe it will actually be useful. I spent almost $250 on the 60GB HyperDrive but with it being unreliable unless you charge the batteries in the unit (which is very very slow) I just don't trust it.

I will post when I get it and have a chance to try it out. BTW Epson has a $50 rebate on them I ordered mine from BuyDig and with the rebate will be getting it at a pretty good price ($387.97 after rebate).

Robert
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:10 AM   #7

I don't have the Hyperdrive but I do have the HD-80 and have had no problems with it at all, but then I charge the batteries in a fast charger and only use the HD-80 charger to trickle charge them.

I have looked at the Epson but I didn't want to pay the extremely high price just to get a viewer, which I have little use for. I just want a fast dump for my SD cards when I am in the field and the HD-80 does just that.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:28 AM   #8

I bought the HyperDrive HD-80 for the same reasons you did. However, I have been unable to charge the batteries for it using any of my 4 chargers. The chargers do a full charge, but then upon first use of those charged batteries in the HyperDrive HD-80 it transfers a few images and then gives a dead battery indicator and then shuts down. If I charge the same batteries in the HyperDrive using the AC Adapter they work fine. When I charge the batteries in the chargers and use them in any other device like an external flash unit, radio, etc. they work fine for hours and hours.

Right now I have no faith or trust when it comes to the HyperDrive HD-80. As for viewing the images, well the the three times I used the HyperDrive I really missed being able to review the images. While the screen on the Epson added a good amount to the cost of the unit it is a 4" 640x480 resolution screen (at least from what I have read) that should make it much more useful for reviewing images and checking focus. So I think now the extra money was worth it.

I have also looked at other devices from the low $150's to the High $200's and decided that the vast majority of these devices are really poor in design, ease of use, battery life (I ran in to one that had a 20GB 1.8" hard drive, but could only transfer 2GBs on a charge of the battery), transfer speed, etc. In the end I figured by the time I fooled with all of these other poor devices I could have had the Epson, so I bought the Epson. I paid a good price for the HyperDrive HD-80 with the 60GB HD and not only do I feel it isn't reliable support from the company has been at best hit and miss.

Time will tell if I made the right choice. Sometimes you can save more money by spending more money than you can save by going cheap. Seems like a oxy-moron, but it is true sometimes.

Robert
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9

Let me know how it works out although I really don't have any need for the screen since I review my images on the K10D screen and when they go to the HD-80 I am just dumping them to be able to format the card again.

I would be shocked if the Epson would read the K10D PEF files to the screen though, but I expect it would read DNG files.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:07 PM   #10

I have a Jobo GIGAone 40 GB ext harddrive, with card slots. I can use it to dump my card in field, and as a 40 GB external harddrive with a usb cable connected to the computer. I guess that's about what the HD 80 does too.

There is a screen, showing if download is on the go (7 minutes for 1 GB) and how many GB is occupied. No possibility to view pics. Cost me around 200 USD. A Jobo GigaPro is around 1000 USD, with viewing screen.

Normally it works perfectly, and I don't really see the need to view my pics in field. 40 GB is 4000 pics shot in RAW, enough for a world tour holiday.

But twice I have come home and discovered transfer errors. Last time was recently. I had downloaded several times in El Salvador and Colombia, but the session from the Colombian Senate was simply missing. I don't know if it was user error or hardware error, but the pictures are not there. When do I get my next invitation to a National Assembly in work? (Crash, can you get me one for the Timor House of Representatives?)

It would have been nice to be able to check if the pictures had been properly downloaded before erasing them from the SD card, but is it worth 800 USD? Something inbetween, a display showing stored folders and files would have been nice. Tech nerds, would that be possible?

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote