Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:54 PM   #1

StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:17 PM   #2

Really like the first and second ones, think I would have preferred the third one to have had a bit more dof, but others might think differently.

You might want to resize or cropyour photos down a little more for posting here (like around 700 pixels wide) so that everyone can see the picture without scrolling. These are fun and well worth looking at.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:50 AM   #3

Good pics. You may want to try lightening the shadows a bit to see more detail.

Darren
Attached Images

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:59 AM   #4

Thanks all !! I have a lot to learn, that's for sure, but it'll be a fun process !!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:56 PM   #5

Cool, another bug parparazzi. The first shot is neat with the second butterfly flying behind the first. The third shot may have been just inside the minimum focus distance of your lens, it looks like the leaf was in sharp focus but the butterfly was too close. This is a great place to pick up tips. What lens were you using for these photographs? The Kiron/Vivitar Series 1/Lester A Dine 105mm manual focus macro lenses are held in very high regard here for this kind of photography.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:23 PM   #6

I was using the 18-55 lens that came with the camera. And yes, i love nature, lol, i would really like to get a few more lenses, but it is mega confusing for me, so many different types !! I want a wide angle, and i want a zoom. Any suggestions that are decent quality, and WON'T drain my bank account? I have a few lenses that work on the camera, a Kiron 80-200 manual focus zoom, a Takumar 28-80 auto focus, and a few older pentax manual focus lenses, but i would rather get lenses designed for Digital.

here are a few shots i took with the Kiron last night at the supercross races here in St. Louis. Maybe 1 out of 5 shots turned out ok, most were either slightly out of focus, or blurred from slight movement on my part. The wide shot of the full track was taken with the Kit 18-55 lens

Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:17 PM   #7

Your Kiron 80-200 looks to be in better shape as mine, and if you keep posting pictures like this I might just break down and get mine fixed (there's oil on the aperture blades of mine, so it won't stop down right. Cost to fix it is more than what they go for on ebay). The Kiron is reasonably fast (think it's f4?) but not a 2.8 lens, so you might find it better to use ISO 1600 (I don't have my computer so don't have an exif reader) - what ISO and shutter speed were you using?

My Kiron is marked as a macro lens, and its not bad for that. I want to say that it's something like 1:4, pretty sure it isn't 1:2, but don't know exactly. Since AF isn't particularly important to macro photography, it's manual focus isn't a problem. I've been a little too sentimental to toss mine out, even though its not worth anything in its current configuration.

Some of those older Pentax lenses are really nice, especially the M50mm 1.7 - I'm still using mine for low light situations. It's not that big of a deal to remember to push the AEL button to meter.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:59 PM   #8

I think shutter speed was 180 and on some was 60, not sure, and i had f stop on 4 or 5.6, ISO was 400. I was WAY up in the rafters at the dome. the lens says: Kiron 80-200mm f/4 MACRO 1:4 goes from f4 - f22
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:34 PM   #9

It's the same lens I have (sigh - decisions, decisions!). Your shotshere are better/sharper than mine are wide open.

A general rule of thumb, especially without SR try to keep your shutter speed the same as the focal length - i.e., if you are zoomed to 200, your shutter speed should be 1/200, or as close as you can get to it. I used to be able to handle a 200mm lens at 1/125, but no longer - now I need SR. Before you go again, take a bunch of test shots using ISO 1600 (don't underexpose them) and see how much noise you get with it. Also check into Neat Image or Noise Ninja (I happen to use Neat Image, but both are equal programs) - there's free versions of both. Then you can see how much noise/quality loss you get at 1600 and 3200 and what can be corrected by software. I find the K100 to have pretty good 1600 shots, as long as you don't underexpose them. That's the best way I know of to limit the effects of camera shake, and it's better for freezing action, besides.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:53 PM   #10

StevePMo wrote:
Quote:
I want a wide angle, and i want a zoom. Any suggestions that are decent quality, and WON'T drain my bank account?
That is a tough one, your bank account might be much larger than mine! Both the Tamron and Sigma 70-300mm zoom lenses seem to have good reputations. For the Sigma look for an APO version and for the Tamron make sure it is a more recent version with a 1:2 macro. Both are available at pretty reasonable prices. The economy choice for wide angle on this list seems to be the Zenitar 16mm manual focus lens. If you had an interest I am sure Daniel would be willing to post some of the excellent pics he has taken with that lens. Pentax also has a 10-17mm zoom that looks pretty interesting.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote