Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

Just a quickie to those who have this camera.

At the moment I have the DL2. Very happy with it, but in 2-3 months time I will get either the K10D or the GX10.

I currently get approx 90 shots onto a 1Gb card. How many will I be getting when I upgrade. Just approx will do, so I know how many cards I need to order for a days shoot, which is around 300+

If possible could you give me the answers for PEF and DNG please.

Thanks chaps and chapesses

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:15 PM   #2

Am using a DL2 too and noticed that a DNG is between5-6 MB, where a PEF is more like 9,5-10,5 MB.

Now this is what puzzled me: I read a thread somewhere that reported the following sizes for the k10d: 9-16 MB for PEF and about 16.5 MB DNG. I digged in my bookmarks, here you go: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...file-size.html

Looks somewhat strange and maybe some1 else can approve this.

HTH,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:44 PM   #3

Thank you - yes that does explain it. Approx 60 DNG RAW shots, or 90-95 PEF RAW shots.

Looks like DNG may give the best RAW file, as nothing is compresed.

Darren
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:24 PM   #4

DNG files are supposed to be losslessly compressed. Looking at the thread, it looks like PEF uses some kind of lossless compression as well, though not as agressive as what DNG would normally use.

It sounds to me like they added support for DNG files to ensure you can use whatever software you want to, but they didn't have the processing power to do the compression. Since DNG files tend to be much smaller, my guess is that the algorithms are also much more complex and that compressing them would have slowed the camera down too much.

Adobe is giving away a DNG converter program for free. If it supports the K10D PEF files, I think you'd be better off using that converter than shooting DNG.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:27 PM   #5

I just read a bit further down the post and saw this:

Here is what is going on:

K10D PEF: lossless data compression used -- approx 10M files
K10D DNG: no compression -- approx 16M files
*istD PEF: no compression -- approx 13M files
*istDS PEF: simple compression used (bit stripping) -- approx 10M

So everything is just fine.

Note though that Pentax initially announced PEF and DNG size to be the same on K10D, but PEF ended up being actually compressed. I think implementing compression was a low priority task but somehow managed to get completed for PEF but not for DNG. I am expecting DNG compression with the first firmware upgrade.

edit: made quoted text bold. I don't think it was clear that all that was someone else's words copied and pasted from a different forum.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:37 PM   #6

PEF is lossless, even when it's being compressed from what I understand. So with compressed PEF having the smallest size you might want to consider that way.

I use the DNG converter for archiving RAW files. Have a serious problem here with the huge amount of data and am still adjusting to one photo being 10MB in size.

Pentax PhotoBrowser and ~photolab won't read the DNG files, though. Also RSE won't read these. So I am a bit limited to dcraw based converters or PhotoLine (which I use for photo manipulation/retouche)

/wave
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:46 PM   #7

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I am expecting DNG compression with the first firmware upgrade.
Well that would be second firmware update.... there has already been one.... though recently bought cameras may be coming with ver 1.10 now.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:29 PM   #8

Hi,

Well you people could just sell your K10s and K100s and get an ist D. Then you could shoot TIFF and not have to worry about converting and compression... :G

On a 1gb Card in RAW you get 70 shots and in TIFF you get 50 shots. This is from the manual of the ist D.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:39 PM   #9
PDL

On my *ist Ds - 92 PEF's on a 1GB card.

On my K10D - 62 PEF's on a 1GB card.

Have not tried DNG on either

Can't recall on my 4GB card - except it is a lot. (It is in use right now or I would format it on both camera's and report the "suggested" count)

Your milage may vary.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:27 PM   #10

Thank you PDL. About what I was expecting.

Darren