Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:22 PM   #1

I was playing around and wanted to see if I could focus on a falling snow flake (I know, good luck). Anyway when I looked at the pictures I saw this. It was shot this last weekend at the height of our snow storm. It was dark, outside from the storm (even though it was taken about 10AM). Taken with my K100D, Kit 18-55 lens (at 18m) at F4, with the SR on.

Granted I purposly pumped up the color to make the problem more obvious, but what is with the blue on the left, and the magenta in the sky? I'm hoping that someone can tell me what caused this, so I can avoid it in the future.
Attached Images

Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:13 PM   #2

I've found whenI add more color to a photo I often get a change in hue. I've had my sky turn greenish for example. Other than that I don't know why you got what you got.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:27 PM   #3

What lens are you using? The reason I ask is that it looks like your picture has some vignetting in the corners (what would be the blue when you pushed the color). As far as the sky being a bit strange - did you adjust the white balance/levels? I get some strange color shifts sometimes, especially if I use auto - depends on the original picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4

That show was with the 18-55 kit lens. I took a couple more today with a cheap-o 28mm manual lens. Here's a sample, untouched except for the resize. You can see the left side is a little darker than the rest of the picture.
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:43 AM   #5
TDN

looks like vignetting to me too...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:59 AM   #6

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
I was playing around and wanted to see if I could focus on a falling snow flake (I know, good luck).* Anyway when I looked at the pictures I saw this.* It was shot this last weekend at the height of our snow storm.* It was dark, outside from the storm (even though it was taken about 10AM).* Taken with my K100D, Kit 18-55 lens (at 18m) at F4, with the SR on.
If possible, retake the pict at 22mm or above and at F5.6. My bet is that it will go away which indicate that it was vignetting.
Also you have quite a bit of sensor dust

Daniel , Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:02 AM   #7

It might have to do with WB in that particular instance. I took some shots last night in RAW on a tripod of an area with street lights and I noticed something similar in one shot (after WB). While adjusting for WB in Pentax Photo Laboratory, I noticed the custom mode where you also get to adjust the color channels. I suspect it has something to do with it.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:46 AM   #8

I think that sensor dust is the snow falling.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:30 PM   #9

Yes, the "dust" is snow falling.

So if it is vignetting, wouldn't that be a camera problem, not a lens, since it's happening on fixed lenses, as well as the kit lens? I rarely use a sunshade, and none of those lenses have filters attached.

I noticed this earlier in the year when I was shooting my son playing basketball, but assumed it was the poor lighting in the gym. Then I was using an A F2 50mm.