Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:06 AM   #11

Dr. C wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots, Roger! Great detail. Like them both, but the second is my favorite. That soft and and cuddly look is so deceiving. : )

Regards,

Lawrence
Hi Lawrence thank you for the kind comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:11 PM   #12

Great shots Roger! It looks like a pretty tiny bird to be a bird of prey. Is it?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:16 PM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Roger! It looks like a pretty tiny bird to be a bird of prey. Is it?

Kjell
Kjell from what everybody is telling me he is a real good hunter even if he is so small. This was the 1st opportunity I had to get a couple of bursts off of one. Thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:43 PM   #14

Very nice sharp shots. Is this with the Sigma 50-500 Roger? I had read complaints that it was soft at 500mm, but your shot sure isn't.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:13 PM   #15

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice sharp shots. Is this with the Sigma 50-500 Roger? I had read complaints that it was soft at 500mm, but your shot sure isn't.

Tim
Hi Tim, yes it was with my Sigma 50-500. I have read the same thing but so far I am a happy camper with mine.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:25 PM   #16

Not surprising considering the detail you manage to get on every posted shot.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:45 PM   #17

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Not surprising considering the detail you manage to get on every posted shot.

Darren
Thanks Darren for the nice comment and for taking the time to look. He sure was fun to watch.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:00 PM   #18

Roger,

Love the shots. Saw a kestrel at the lake we live near last year and watched it for a while. Had binoculars but (sadly) didn't have my camera with me at the moment.

Do you use a tripod for these shots with the Sigma at 500mm? Looks like the second shot was 1/250s at f/8, and if you shot handheld I'd expect the pictures to be a little less sharp than your shots always are. I ask not just out of idle curiosity. I've had tolerably good luck - at least on bright days - shooting handheld with a 300mm lens and sometimes even with the 1.4x converter on. I prefer shooting handheld, don't like the tripod much. But I've been wondering, if I did ever save up the $$ to get a 500mm lens, would the tripod be an absolute requirement?

By the way, from the EXIF data, it looks like your camera's firmware has not been updated yet.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:23 PM   #19

Polytrope wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

Love the shots. Saw a kestrel at the lake we live near last year and watched it for a while. Had binoculars but (sadly) didn't have my camera with me at the moment.

Do you use a tripod for these shots with the Sigma at 500mm? Looks like the second shot was 1/250s at f/8, and if you shot handheld I'd expect the pictures to be a little less sharp than your shots always are. I ask not just out of idle curiosity. I've had tolerably good luck - at least on bright days - shooting handheld with a 300mm lens and sometimes even with the 1.4x converter on. I prefer shooting handheld, don't like the tripod much. But I've been wondering, if I did ever save up the $$ to get a 500mm lens, would the tripod be an absolute requirement?

By the way, from the EXIF data, it looks like your camera's firmware has not been updated yet.

Will
Hi to YA!!! Will.

So far I have NOT used a tripod or a monopod. I use a binolcular harness when nothing else is available. Mostly rocks,limbs, fence post and etc.

Thank you for the kind comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:17 PM   #20

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Hi to YA!!! Will.

So far I have NOT used a tripod or a monopod. I use a binolcular harness when nothing else is available. Mostly rocks,limbs, fence post and etc.

Thank you for the kind comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Roger,

Thanks. I want to make sure I understand you. You don't use a tripod or monopod, but it sounds as if you're not exactly shooting these photos "handheld" in the ordinary sense, either. Sounds like you're setting the camera down on a rock, stabilizing it on a fence post or tree limb - something like that. Is that right?

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote