Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:22 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I' ve made slow progress onmy layout thisWinter : Got some grass/brush growing, put down ballast (gravel) on the track and added a few more buildings & trees.Pix taken usingthe DL and the kit lens (18-55). All I have is fluorescent lighting in my basement; therefore I set the white balance accordingly and skipped the flash altogether.I think the DL handled the lighting rather well.

IT'S A GOOD THING I HAVE ACCESS TO SOME HEAVY DUTY EARTH MOVING EQUIPMENT!!!

EVENING SUN CASTING ITS LIGHT AS AMTRAK'S SOUTHWEST CHIEF PULLS INTO SCHUYLKILL DEPOT.

MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE WILL BE MODELIING THE RIVER.

THIS GUY IS JUST ALONG FOR THE RIDE!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:29 PM   #2

How big is your set? It looks pretty big and complex to me - love your pictures. Someday you'll have to post a wide-angle view to show how extensive it is - from the looks of things (and what I've remembered from some of your past pictures), your set-up must be really good sized and complex. Looks like a wonderful place to spend a few hours and then some.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:50 PM   #3

Very nice series. Since I live in a railroad town I always enjoy railroad photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:25 PM   #4

wow!!

i once built a room for a guy that had trains. he had tracks everywhere. i'll bet there was 1/4 mile in it. it was a BIG split level. the control panel look like startrek and was 3' x 3'..

roy
Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:59 AM   #5

These are great shots. I am not a rail fan, but I can appreciate the time and effort that goes in to creating something like this.

Excellent.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:04 AM   #6

What scale is that? HO or N?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:39 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments!

Harriet: The pix make the layout look deceptively large. Actually, the entire layout is contained on a frame that is only 4 ft x 8 ft. Since I photographed various corners of the layout at close range, it looks like a much larger layout. Truth be told, there is one corner of the layout that is still shows bare plywood!!

I am just a beginner and need to work my way up to one similar to what Roy described. Once I get more of the scenery done, I'll post a wide angled shot.

Hayward: The layout is HO scale. I've been dabling in it for about 15 years.

Im interested in feedback on the lighting....

Thanks, Jay
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:05 AM   #8

lighting looks ok but seems a bit yellow. did you use a custom WB??

roy
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:16 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
lighting looks ok but seems a bit yellow. did you use a custom WB??

roy
Roy, I agree that the lighting has a yellow tinge. I set the WB to Fluorescent. I've never used the custom WB...should experiment with it. For the "sunset" effect (pix no 2), I had my daughter hold a regular (halogen) flash light. Actually, my intention was to illuminate the area under the depot to show the passengers. But it produced the effect of a late evening sun. Also, the only PP I applied was cropping. Thanks for the feedback. Jay
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:11 PM   #10

Nice work, a friend of mine is building an HOscale model of the original administration building (with control tower) that existedat Gander airport when the first flight of Hudson bombers were ferried over to England during WWII. He is using materials from model railroading and has been working on the project for several years now. I will try to get some pictures to post.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote