Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:18 PM   #1

I did that again this Sunday morning again . I did jack up the shutter to 1/200s majority of them (barely ok at iso800) and freeze the action a bit better with clear view (and not through that blurry shield). But all done through a very confining little gap with FA135mm

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:27 PM   #2

Good job you were hampered by the shield, otherwise we would have had to put up with perfect, clear shots.

Oh! Wait a minute that is what we got!!

Great shooting.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:26 PM   #3

Fun series, it looks like the young ones are having a lot of fun.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:37 PM   #4

Daniel, That first one with the goalie looking so small inside that goal is great! Wonder if any will ever make it to the NHL? Excellent shots!

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:26 PM   #5

Excellent shots! Those kids are SO cute - how old are they? They don't look like they are old enough to worry about a lens using one of those camera holes in the glass - just wait until they get older. I've always wondered how the professional hockey photographers do that in the NHL - would imagine that you'd have to pay close attention to what everyone is doing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:18 AM   #6

coool photos

i l;ike the action in the second and last one
considering the conditions they are all great photos
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:05 AM   #7

Glenn, Roger, Darrin & Gumnut,

Hey. Thanks for your kind comments.
Somebody brought up that my shots are ok given that there is very few people doing that.
Now I am still groping for better way to shoot ice hockey and I now know why very few people do that.
Lighting situation not ideal. Action superfast and faster than other sport. Plexiglass all around rink for protection or insurance claim resulting in me shooting between the gap of plexipanel (of say 2 inches.) The alternative is to shoot behind dirty plexiglass panel. The fact that I have to shoot behind a small gap severely limited my movement.
To tell you the truth , the gap does not even allow a large zoom of size over 52mm which is the filter size of my Pentax FA135mm.

I do not think the famous 70-200L zoom of Canon (nor the same one of Nikon) can get through the gap. Imagine the handicap of sticking out your lens through the gap and trying to compose a fast action shots. And it is a fixed focal length lens.
It is a popular game (N of US and definitely Canada) yet with very few shots posted. No wonder.
I was shooting kids hockey. I do not think I will manage the speed of prof game given the handicap .

Daniel , Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:06 PM   #8

It's great to see kids at play who play mostly because it is fun and they love to play.

Your shots given the limitations of one focal length and a small gap with no plexiglass is not shown in how well these came out.

Despite thesituationmaking this a tough shoot you did very well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote