Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1

No, not that kind of hooters, boy you people have dirty minds :blah:! I pretty well have my kids and the neighborhood kids trained to come get me whenever they find an unusual bug or something else worth photographing. Well, a few nights ago the kids from across the street ran over to let me know that there was an owl in their palm tree and I should bring my camera. I grabbed the 300mm (Tamron Adaptall f5.6) prime and ran over. I was surprised to find that there were actually two owls and they were both well within flash range, really TOO close for the lens I had. It was kind of neat to get this opportunity to photograph real wild owls at such close range but I have learned that neither Paint Shop nor PSE have a red eye removal tool powerful enough for Owl Red Eye!
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2

And the other one.

Thanks for looking,

Tim
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3

Love those shots. Find those to be rare in posts and I did a PP on your second one for the "red eye". Hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:23 AM   #4

Well since you had to do that.... not sure where I got it from, but your very own 2007 Hooters Calendar.

PS nice shots... though even owl's get red eye ehhh ?

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:00 AM   #5

Great shots Tim. So lucky to see them in the wild.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:02 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wow! What a lucky find! I've never seen (let alone photographed) an owl in the wild! Great pix! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:53 PM   #7

Lovely shots! The modification is also outstanding - what did you use to get rid of the red-eye?

The only owl shots I have were taken with a Sony F717 several years ago. The funny thing about them is that I was helping my sister clean out her garage. I had been complaining about the birds always getting all my grapes and she saidthey had tried (unsuccessfully)an owl statue to scare away rodents. We decided that her plastic statue wouldn't work on my birds, so it went to the dump. Later that day (getting toward evening) I looked out the window and thought I saw the statue stuck on her outside water faucet. I couldn't figure out how it got there - until it moved its head and I realized I was looking at a REAL great horned owl. Sure wish I would have had my Pentax and A*300 now - I got a number of pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:03 PM   #8

Those are very nice. I enjoyed seeing them. You did a good job of taking advantage of the opportunity.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:42 PM   #9

Tim

You have got a rare find. Great that you catch them

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:36 PM   #10

Thanks for the comments everyone, although this was very much a case of being lucky enough to have charged batteries. Tom, your red eye reduction looks good, which tool did you use? I found that neither PSP or PSE would do the entire eye at once, instead that would do small circles inside the eye and doing this over and over resulted in an slightly "off" look. If you look at the first owl you will see that one retina is not quite round, this is the effect I ended up with.

Thanks,

Tim