Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:35 AM   #1

I just got my K100D yesterday I've just been playing around with it trying to learn how to use it. I've probably taken about 400 pics already....of nothing LOL.Anyway, last night, it locked up on me. I shot about 5 pics in a row (highest quality jpeg) and then it locked up. The number of pictures remaining said 199 and it kept flashing that on the LCD display and the camerawouldn't do anything. I turned the power switch to off and it still flashed 199 on the LCD and the camera still would not operate. I tried turning it back on and back off a few times, but it didn't do anything. Finally, I took thebatteries out and put them back in again and it works again. I'm not sure what to do at this point, I guess I'll just have to watch it and see if this becomes a frequent thing.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:48 AM   #2

Were you using continuous shooting or single shot? I've never used continuous shooting, and its possible you were running into a buffer/card write limitation, but I don't have any experience with that. If you were doing single shot picture taking, then it is NOT normal - mine has never done that.

Hope someone who uses continuous shooting can say what happens when the buffer fills up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Were you using continuous shooting or single shot? I've never used continuous shooting, and its possible you were running into a buffer/card write limitation, but I don't have any experience with that. If you were doing single shot picture taking, then it is NOT normal - mine has never done that.

Hope someone who uses continuous shooting can say what happens when the buffer fills up.
I was just going to suggest the very same thing. My K100D has never locked up on me, but if you take a continuous burst of shots it will take a moment for the buffer to write to the card (especially if you aren't using a "High Speed" card). If those shots were not taken in burst mode, I would return the camera for a replacement.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:33 PM   #4

I think I was testing out continuous burst mode, but still, does that explain why it was not able to recover until I took the batteries outand put them back in again?

I emailed Pentax and they said that this is not normal and that if it does it again, I should return it to the dealer
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:34 PM   #5

BTW, for what its worth,no, I do not have a high speed card.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:18 PM   #6

Also, another thing I was wondering about is that sometimes when I'm taking shots, I can hear a faint noise inside the camera, almost like an electrical sound or something. Is this normal?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:29 PM   #7

If you are taking long exposures, there's a soft "whirr" almost - it's the sound of whatever it is that holds the mirror up, I think. I hear the same thing when I have the mirror locked up for blowingout the sensor, that's what leads me to think that's what it is. Try locking up the mirror (in the menu, used for cleaning)and see if it sounds the same. If so, that's normal.

Where did you get your camera, and what kind of return policy do they have? Your first problem, even without a high speed card, sounds suspicious. If you can still return it for an exchange, I think I might do that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:01 PM   #8

Another possibility is flat batteries.

Whenver weird things happen with my DS I put a charged set in and the weirdness goes away.

I do a lot of high shooting rates, as a motor sports photographer, and this can stretch the capability of the batteries, give them a breather and they will still work.

Just remeber the power reset is comon thing to cure all manner of computer ills, and that also applies to the computer in your camera.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:08 PM   #9

I got the camera from Adorama via Amazon.com. I really don't want to have to send the camera back and have to wait again, but I also don't want to be stuck with it if it does start to flake out more in the future.

Like I said, it was really strange...even when I turned the power off, the LCD was blinking "199" (as in 199 shots estimated left).
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:09 PM   #10

Mtngal, yes that is the sound