Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:42 PM   #1

I will be visiting Tel Aviv mid May. The trip could be 5 days . But if it is worth it I can stay almost 2 weeks.
I believe there is a lot of history of the area.
Any link to sites about what I should be familar with?
What is the best way to see the country? Or should I say waht is the best way to take pict of the country?
I heard - likely myth - that photography is very much under control in Israel obviously for security reason?
Is that intimidating?
I am Oriental. Hopes that helps.

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:17 PM   #2

actually you look more middle eastern, don't think there's a prob there tho.
history in israel?? never heard about any.
hopefully you are are not going for a military, defense or security reason.
a friend did and clearing the airport was a nightmare..
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:38 PM   #3

Roy,

With your boozooka (or something that look like RPG launcher), yes. Pentax must be pretty terrorizing

Somebody gave some pointer like Jerusalem, Negev , Massada.... for me to research.

Daniel
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:09 PM   #4

I visited Jerusalem on business 2 years ago, and I had no problem with taking photos. Realize that Israelgets many many tourists taking snapshots. I only got to see the Jerusalem area, but I recommend the Old City of Jerusalem, including Western Wall & theChurch of the Holy Sepulchre. Go to the Mount of Olives, where you get a good view over the Kidron Valley of the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock. In Tel Aviv, go to the beach and catch sunsets over the Mediterranean, and go visit Old Jaffa on the south side of Tel Aviv.

I would have loved to see more of the country -- if you have the opportunity, definitely travel around.

Some photos, if I may? I apologize, but these are pre-Pentax DS2...I usedmy Kodak EasyShare DX7440.

Dan

1st: sunset over Mediterranean from Tel Aviv beach

Attached Images

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:10 PM   #5

2nd: One of the gates into the Old City of Jerusalem.

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:12 PM   #6

3rd and last: The beach in Tel Aviv, looking south, with Old Jaffa in the distance.

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:02 PM   #7

I took a tour of Israel in November for 10 days. Then to Egypt for 7 days. There is not problem with taking photos in Israel. The only exception was that the security people at the border between Israel and Egypt at Elat/Taba did not want us taking photos of the border corossing facility. Other than that we had no problem. As someone else said you want to go to Old Jerusalem. I have a thread here on Steves forums under Travel photography with many of my Jerusalem photos. Israel is diverse in topography. Sea of Galilee is furtile rolling hills. As you go south toward the dead sea, it is rugid dessert. Around the Sea of Galilee you might want to visit the Jordan River, Capernaum, Tiberias. South - go to dead sea, Masada, oasis En Gedi. History abounds!! Have a great time.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:54 AM   #8

Dan and a200user,

Thanks for your inputs and trouble and I have quite a bit follow up on reading those destinations . They are very promising. I certainly look forward to the photo opportunities there.

Daniel