Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

I took these two pictures this morning at dawn, and rather liked the sky. I took it with the kit lens - have no idea what the focal length is because my PhotoBrowser on this computer has quit working (think I'm getting to be an electronic jinx), and PS6 doesn't show EXIF. I suspect that it was shot at 18mm. I think the leaning buildings aren't as bothersome with the sky the way it is (sort-of leaning into the sky), but wondering what others think - should I staighten the buildings so the vertical lines are straight? Also, does anyone have a preference between these two? There are elements that I don't like with both of them, just can't decide which one has the least objectionable faults - too bad, really because the sky was somewhat unusual for L.A.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

2nd one. Maybe they are just too similar to make any difference at all.
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3

I definitely prefer the second shot.

While both have converging verticals the left side verticals on the 2nd shot balance out the right side verticals.

In the first shot it seems to me the right side verticals are ready to fall over as there is no compensation on the left !!!

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:19 PM   #4

Second one, definitely. Behind the builds in the second shot you can see a little of the dawn red, and the lighter sky is also more peaceful and hopeful. The sky in the first shot could be very early dawn - or a storm coming.

Nice shots.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:52 PM   #5

And I didn't hesitate: immediately preferred #1. I like how the sky light is more concentrated to the centre, and how the buildings sort of point at that light in the sky. I think you would loose that effect if you straightened the buildings.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:58 AM   #6

Agree. 1st one.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:01 AM   #7

It's a hard choice, but I'd go with the first one. I like the way it seems to represent a surreal landscape, and how the buildings blend into the darker clouds in the lower sky, and how they're clustered together like a mountain made of blocks. The only thing that somewhat ruins it for me is the orange building in the foreground.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:08 AM   #8

The first one for sure! The subject to my mind is that great alto cumulus (now I know someone will dispute that! :blah formation and to my eye number one shows that best!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:04 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies! My opinion is about the same as Corpsy's - I prefer the first one but the orange building ruins it. I played around a bit but couldn't quite deal with it (don't want to crop it out, and my initial playing around with the color of just that building looked too obvious). The second one does have the center building having straight lines, but the blown-out billboards distract me, the contrast isn't quite as good (can be corrected somewhat, but didn't because of the billboards) and I thought there was something "missing" with it, but couldn't figure out what that might be (too balanced?). I did think that these pictures might be the exception for straightening the vertical lines, but wanted to see if anyone else felt like that.

Thanks for all of your input.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:44 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Is it just me, or at first glance do the clouds in image # 1 actually appear to be moving??? Anyhow, interesting perception....Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote