Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:20 AM   #1

Took this with my MZ-S, FA* 300mm lens and Fuji print film, then scanned it with my Nikon film scanner. Scanns from slide film such as Kodachrome 25 and Fuji Velvia are even sharper since they have smaller grain.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:49 PM   #2

Tom,

Given the spectacular result you have , I am to try scanning the image then. My scanner is not a prof one though. My hunch is that my half-a_ _ attempt may not achieve the outstanding dynamic range over that of the dslr.
My whole point was to explore the wide angle side of the lens rather than the tele. For teleshots I would rather have the advantage of having fast and quick firing shots for keepers.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:49 PM   #3

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Tom,

Given the spectacular result you have , I am to try scanning the image then. My scanner is not a prof one though. My hunch is that my half-a_ _ attempt may not achieve the outstanding dynamic range over that of the dslr.
My whole point was to explore the wide angle side of the lens rather than the tele. For teleshots I would rather have the advantage of having fast and quick firing shots for keepers.

Daniel
Daniel,

I agree, the fisheye is great using full frame with or without film, I just posted the dove photo to show that 35mm film can produce acceptable results. I have even blown the dove photo up to 16x20" and it looks great, but you don't have the instant gratification you get with digital.

With digital, you can shoot hundreds of photos waiting for just the right shot, where you have to pick and choose with film. My local pro photo lab will do professional drum scans for $1 each if your home scanner isn't doing what you want it to, so that is also an option for film shots you find exceptional. I am sure there are pro labs in Toronto too!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4

tom, nice shot and a great scan. i remember something about film..........

roy