Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

I have a single 1gig SD memory card that I managed to get "free" with my K100d and I'd like to get another (1 or 2gig). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Does card speed matter in the K100? I heard that you can get faster buffer dumps if you have one of the faster (120x or 133x) cards. Does it actually make the burst shooting faster (after the initial 5 fast frames)?

... and yes .... I will stay away from eBay .

Cheers,
Geoff
thePrisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:41 PM   #2

My *istDS doesn't support USB 2 so there is no real 'in camera' advantage to using high speed cards. I found no differences in shooting performance with a high speed card to a 'bog standard' slow card.

BUT, with a high speed card reader connected to a USB 2 port, high speed cards can 'dump' their contents faster to PC (or whatever).

I own 2 Integral x66 1 GB cards & 1 Kingston x50 2 GB card which work fine - the latter is now available in the UK for a mere UKĀ£15.

The Prisoner was a really good series in it's time - great handle.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:27 PM   #3
TDN

If you're shooting RAW you'll notice a difference in the speed the camera writes the images from the buffer to the card. I'd recommend staying away from regular SD's and always try to get somewhat of a higher speed card.

The burst itself won't go faster, but you'll have to wait less between bursts.

Doesn't have to be the sandisk extremes if you're on a budget, there are usually several 66x cards that are only a few $ more than the regulars. (Corsair works well for me...)

of course if money is not an issue, the sandisk extreme II and III series are reported to be very good.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:34 PM   #4

Thank you. I've loved the series since I saw it first (reruns) in the 80s. I even managed to convince my wife to visit Portmeirion, Wales on our honeymoon (although she liked the series too and it has a luxtury hotel).

That's a good price for the 2 gig card. That's the other debate I've been having with myself too. Two 1gig cards or a single 2gig card. There are trade offs for both.
thePrisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:34 PM   #5

catbells, the DS does support USB2.

as tdn stated, if you shoot in raw you will notice a write time difference. not much but you definately notice it if the shot is getting away.

roy
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:28 PM   #6

I have noticed a marked difference in regular speed and high speed cards since I got my K10d, especially in raw - really quite fast.

I have had great service from Transcend and Ridata high speed cards from NewEgg, both 2gb and 4gb cards. Very good prices, and seem to be dropping weekly. I see no need to go for SDHD, or whatever they're called, high capacity cards. High speed is good enough for me.

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:49 AM   #7

Can't speak for the 100D but the 10D can shoot 3fps continuously highest JPG res until card exhausted no matter what the speed of it. (Nice BIG buffer)

Larely a matter of off loading speed than rcecording in many cases. And buffer size of the camera.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:36 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
catbells, the DS does support USB2
The *istDS is USB 1.1 - there is no speed advantage when connected to a USB 2 hub.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:11 AM   #9

Then again I have aways used card readers since when even 1MP cameras were PAINFULLY slow RS-232 serial connection.... got me in the card reader habit and have never looked back.....

Why run down camera battery... and likey still slower (even USB2) transfer than a card reader due largely to needless and uselees/cumbersome auto starting camera software.

Last couple of cameras I have resold were without USB cable.... never used it no idea were it was since NEW box opened, wel did stumble across one.:-)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:23 AM   #10

I have 2 Transcend 2 GB 150 x speed cards, and have had no problems with them. With shipping they cost $26 USD apiece at Newegg. Bought one same time I ordered my camera, and decided to get one more JUST in case I need it, lol. Also bought a Rosewill card reader for $6.99 with the first order, and it works like a charm too.
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote