Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:09 AM   #11

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Well, it's not because Pentax is doing better that Canon is losing clients. There has just been an explosion of DSLR users lately.

I doubt that sports and portrait photographers who have been using Canon succesfully for years would ever switch over.
I wouldnt if I had a Canon...
Not really a pro, but have sold stuff, and I dumped my Canon Rebel (and since sold a couple of the lenses) in a hearbeat for the K10D.

Especially since there would (and still) be no C 40D in the forseeable future.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:27 AM   #12

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
TDN wrote:
Quote:
Well, it's not because Pentax is doing better that Canon is losing clients. There has just been an explosion of DSLR users lately.

I doubt that sports and portrait photographers who have been using Canon succesfully for years would ever switch over.
I wouldnt if I had a Canon...
* Not really a pro, but have sold stuff, and I dumped my Canon Rebel (and since sold a couple of the lenses) in a hearbeat* for the K10D.

** Especially since there would (and still) be no C 40D in the forseeable future.
Sure, here is the gera I am presently using:
2xK10D's
2xGrip
Pentax 21, 40, 70 Limited's, 100 f2.8 Macro, 12-24, 16-45 and shortly the 16-50, 50-135 and 31mm Limited.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:49 AM   #13

Hi Ben,

I am thrilled to see your work again. I followed it at that other site. Too bad that they are biased to certain people and camera makes.

When I wanted a DSLR I wanted the ist D originally, But money was a deciding factor with me. I got a Canon. I was never really satisfied with the pictures that I took. They always had a plastic not real look to them.

So when I got the chance to get a Pentax istD, I jumped at it and sold all of my Canon gear. I mainly do landscapes and a few events (Like Ski Jumping and Car Shows). I am Not a Professional by any means..:-)I am just a person that can see the shot in my mind before I take the picture.

I gave Canon another chance after they deserted us that used the Older SLRs with the FD lenses. That was a mistake on my part, One that I will not make again...

Pentax has a natural feel to the pictures that it produces. It is more of what I see with my eyes and thru the viewfinder before I take the shot.

Sorry I got long winded, But I am glad I made the the jump from Canon to Pentax!!!

Here is one of my favorite shots.

Rudy

Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:03 AM   #14

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ben,

**** I am thrilled to see your work again. I followed it at that other site. Too bad that they are biased to certain people and camera makes.

**** When I wanted a DSLR I wanted the ist D originally, But money was a deciding factor with me. I got a Canon. I was never really satisfied with the pictures that I took. They always had a plastic not real look to them.

**** So when I got the chance to get a Pentax istD, I jumped at it and sold all of my Canon gear. I mainly do landscapes and a few events (Like Ski Jumping and Car Shows). I am Not a Professional by any means..:-)*I am just a person that can see the shot in my mind before I take the picture.

**** I gave Canon another chance after they deserted us that used the Older SLRs with the FD lenses. That was a mistake on my part, One that I will not make again...

*** Pentax has a natural feel to the pictures that it produces. It is more of what I see with my eyes and thru the viewfinder before I take the shot.

*** Sorry I got long winded, But I am glad I made the the jump from Canon to Pentax!!!

*** Here is one of my favorite shots.

Rudy
Thanks for the kind words Rudy. I really love your landscape, well done!
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:29 AM   #15

Canon isn't really in trouble, just sort of sitting on their lead.

They're still clearly the top player in the pro market. But they will eventually need to do more to address the lower end of the market, cameras with APS-C sized sensors, which is where the real growth is.

The number one thing they need to do is offer more digital specific lenses aimed at that market. They should offer a standard zoom that starts wider than 16mm, a long zoom to compete with Nikon, and they need something that will cover the 70-200 equivalent nicely on APS-C size.

Say:
15-45 f3.5-4.5 EF-S USM
15-105 f3.5-5.6 EF-S USM
45-125 f3.5-4.5 EF-S USM

And they could use a new 40D. But, right now, I'm sure they're probably still making good money by selling alot of more cheaply built products than the competition, and at higher prices. That has to be good for profits, even if it does mean they lose a bit of market share.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote