Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:50 AM   #1

If at all interested in making your images "Pop" more like 4x5 or 6x7 film, you may wish to look at one of my suggested work flow methods:

http://pentaxlife.com/benjamin-kanar...cessing-method
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2

Looks good. I may have to try this technique.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:34 PM   #3

This is interesting - if I understand your article correctly, you use USM twice. Do you do this before or after any resizing/cropping? I've always done USM last, since sometimes it seems things are over-processed if done first, then resized down. Or do you handle things differently when the ultimate output will be resized?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:35 PM   #4

i've been using something similar for a couple of years. not on all images but when it works it works well. process your image to your liking and in PS > image > apply image.. you get all the blending options and are able to adjust %. if your image is a little washed out try using 'multiply'. if you need a little sharpening try 'overlay'. just mess around and see what you like.

roy
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:38 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This is interesting - if I understand your article correctly, you use USM twice.* Do you do this before or after any resizing/cropping?* I've always done USM last, since sometimes it seems things are over-processed if done first, then resized down.* Or do you handle things differently when the ultimate output will be resized?
Up to this point in time I have been resizing before starting to retouch. You can however do the exact same process before resizing. I would do this process before retouching however as it has a very dominant effect on the final retouch.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:49 PM   #6

Ben

I am currently away overseas and have intermittent access to the forum lately and a reduced amount of shutter time,but that is changing next week...anyways getting off track.

You are new to the forum and I must have missed your arrival, welcome to the forum and you will find us a friendly bunch.

Looking forward to trying out our work flow on some of my images and viewing more of your work.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the warm Welcome!

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:25 PM   #8

I looked over your workflow. It looks good, but why aren't you converting the RAW to a TIFF or PSD instead? Wouldn't doing so help retain some detail when doing other PP apart from the USM and layer adjustments?
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:36 PM   #9

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I looked over your workflow. It looks good, but why aren't you converting the RAW to a TIFF or PSD instead? Wouldn't doing so help retain some detail when doing other PP apart from the USM and layer adjustments?
Of course I am. I do all of the manipulations once the image has been converted from RAW in to Photo Shop. I save to PSD or TIFF after the manipulations are done. Image is opened in RAW. I do my tweaks in RAW and open in PS to do my USM process. Not while in RAW.