Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:10 PM   #11

Hi Bob,

Here's a good article on histograms from Luminous Landscape:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

I'm sure that you could google up some more.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:10 PM   #12

This is a typical situation when RAW shines, it's pretty forgiving even if it's always better to getthe exposureright from the beginning.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:14 PM   #13

If you have a lot a white in the frame use +1 exposure compensation, a lot of black use -1.5. These are my starting points.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:25 PM   #14

How about using ND filters? I understand they might not help with the WB, that is why I do RAW when in these kind of circumstances.

Kind of related, anyone having experience with gradual ND filters? Are they tricky to use?
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:43 PM   #15

You can use a gray card in the field to set the white balance manually. Or, if you want to spend the money you can use an ExpoDisc. This is what I use and it is easy to do with the Pentax. If you decide to go with the ExpoDisc, just by the largest mm they have and hold it over your lens. This way you only have to buy one ExpoDisc instead of one for each filter size your lenses have. http://www.expodisc.com

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:47 PM   #16

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
How about using ND filters? I understand they might not help with the WB, that is why I do RAW when in these kind of circumstances.

Kind of related, anyone having experience with gradual ND filters? Are they tricky to use?
nope. meter still wants to meter to 18%. ND filter has nothing to do with EV here. you would still get the same image but at a slower shutter speed.

roy
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:48 PM   #17

oh, shooting in raw is a big advantage here.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:48 PM   #18

It's not just Pentax cameras that have problems with snow - just about any camera with a light meter will over-react to the reflected light and underexpose a snow picture. The Panasonic FZ30 even has a snow option as one of their pre-sets - one of the few scene modes that I actually used.

I used to use exposure bracketing with the Sony F717, and always chose the +version - finally just set the camera that way when I was snowshoeing. Another thing that can help is a polarizer - it will at least cut out the reflected light.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:24 AM   #19

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like EV comp and Raw are the 2 solutions to this.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:20 AM   #20

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Use the Exposure compensation, it's there to help you out in situations like these. But you'll have to practise to get the feeling for when to use it, and how much you need to compensate in a given situation. You can use the histogram info in the camera, if you shoot pictures like these with a lot of snow there should be a large portion to the far right in the diagram, but still within it.

Kjell
Use it often... my problem is remembering to set it back to normal... and getting a couple of Over or under exposures (especially in bright daylight were it not real easy to critically judge the LCD display.

Thats one reason I moved the EV in P to the front dial and exposure variation to the back. Kept doing it by accident too when on the back dial. (K10D) I wish it had an option setting like RAW where EV could be one shot only.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote