Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:56 PM   #1

This is my first post in the forum and I wasn't quite sure where to post my question, but since I own a *ist DL I figured this would beas good a place as any for my question.

I've been searching through the internet to find an article or post on the use of a stabilized lens on a stabilized camera. Since I'm new to digital photography I don't know if there is any benefit to shooting in lower light by increasing the amount of stabilization by using a stabilized lens on a stabilized camera, but it's an interesting thought at the very least.

Does anyone know if you can use an image stablized lens on an image stabilized camera and if there is any benefit from it?

-Torin
Torin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:06 PM   #2

welcome to the forum

your DL does not have the electrical contacts for a stabilized lens so that point is moot.
the new k10d has extra contacts but i dont know if it will allow a stabilized lens to be used.

as far as your ?? i don't have a clue.

roy
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:11 PM   #3

So far there are no stabilized lenses available for Pentax and you would have to own a K100 or K10D to have in camera stabilization.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:21 PM   #4

Torin wrote:
Quote:
This is my first post in the forum and I wasn't quite sure where to post my question, but since I own a *ist DL I figured this would be¬*as good a place as any for my question.

I've been searching through the internet to find an article or post on the use of a stabilized lens on a stabilized camera.¬* Since I'm new to digital photography I don't know if there is any benefit to shooting in lower light by increasing the amount of stabilization by using a stabilized lens on a stabilized camera, but it's an interesting thought at the very least.

Does anyone know if you can use an image stablized lens on an image stabilized camera and if there is any benefit from it?

-Torin
Entirely hypothetical .
Only Canon/Nikon have lens-based SR and Sony/Pentax have body based SR. All of them are mutually incompatible.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I'm still very much interested in the possiblities of an image stabilized lens on an image stabilized camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Are there any DSLRs with built in image stabilization that accept image stabilizing lenses?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:27 PM   #6

I postedthat last one before seeing the third response. I know that there is an optical stabilized lens from sigma, and I'm wondering if that will fit on the k10d or Sony A100.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:31 PM   #7
TDN

My guess is that it wouldn't work, or would even work adversly.

You see, both systems work with the same principle. Compensate for any movement of the camera by moving the lens/sensor a little too.

If you were to combine both systems, you would not get more stabilisation, you would get that both systems try to compensate for the same movement, thus overcompensating (the sensor doesnt know the lens has already compensated for the movement and vice versa) and creating a motion blur on every picture.

That is my theory...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:09 PM   #8

Sigma only makes them for non stabilized bodies such as Nikon and Canon, not Pentax.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote