Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:22 AM   #1

srsmicrosystems Uk have just lowered the price today from £399 TO £3498) inc kit lens cheapest on line K100D price I can find, They are very well respected in the uk for pentax cameras /lenses ect , Ok Im very tempted at this price but would like please some assurance this is the starter DSLR for me , I like the feel of it but lots are raving about the Nikon D40 , I wll only shoot jpegs and so is the Pentax as good as the Nikon is my question please Rodo.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2

Hi Rodo,

You are unlikely to find anyone here who has also used the D40 extensively. However, as the K100 is my first (only) SLR camera I can tell you that it has certainly been a good one. One of my friends who is a more experienced photographer and uses a high end Nikon had nothing but praise for my camera either. I don't know much about the D40, but you will not be going wrong with the Pentax. It has been a great camera to learn on with plenty of capabilities for me to grow into.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3

You'll get all positives when it comes to the K100 here - we all love our Pentax cameras. The K100 is an excellent camera and holds its own against any of the competition (of course, I'm prejudiced because I'm a happy Pentax owner).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:54 PM   #4

rodo wrote:
Quote:
srsmicrosystems Uk have just lowered the price today from £399 TO £3498) inc kit lens cheapest on line K100D price I can find, They are very well respected in the uk for pentax cameras /lenses ect , Ok Im very tempted at this price but would like please some assurance this is the starter DSLR for me , I like the feel of it but lots are raving about the Nikon D40 , I wll only shoot jpegs and so is the Pentax as good as the Nikon is my question please Rodo.
Might want to check out the Pop Photo review here:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3756...nikon-d40.html

It compares the D40 directly to the K100 and Olympus E-500. I have a k100 and love it! Its my first SLR of any kind and I have been having a blast learning with it. I do shoot raw though as I like to play in Photoshop too.
scottie137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:06 PM   #5

You might find that the D40 produces 'better' JPEGs straight out of the camera than the K100D - I stand to be corrected on this.

This is because, IMHO, newer 'budget' dSRLs have more 'in camera' processing to make them more appealing to P&S users.

BUT - remember, that aheavily 'in camera' processed image (sharp) cannot be undone whereas a lightly processed image (soft) can (because it hasn't necessarily been over sharpened) which makes the latter a better bet.

The only down side to 'softer' in camera processed images is that you are left to do the work in a graphics package i.e. you are in control of the post processing.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:46 PM   #6

I was going to buy the K100 back in December last yearwhen Nikon announced the D40. Then, the Nikonians I work with convinced me to buy the D40 instead, and so I did. However, I was not too happy with it from the get go because of its inconsistent metering system. Matrix over exposes everything while CW under exposes (but it's much more accurate and consistent than matrix). Then the WB. Auto WBworks OK as long as there are no shaded areas for the camera produces a blue cast in shaded areas. So, I had to compensate theauto WBby -1 to warm things up a bit. Now, once I got passed these issues, I did get good pictures out of it. A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy the K100 and give it a try. The camera is much heavier than the D40, much noisier, the viewfinder is not nearly as bright and the AF is not as fast. Battery consumption is higher also. The goods are AF built in the camera body (so you only pay for it once and not to mentioned the fact that lenses are much cheaper), SR system also built in camera (again, you only pay for it once - and BTW, it works real well), good metering and WB (except for indoor under tungsten light) and great image quality with well saturated colors. Image quality is actuallyvery comparable to the D40. IMO, if the D40 had in camera AF, I'd probably favor it over the K100 simply because it's lighter and faster. Once you get a grip of howthe
camerameters,everything is fine.But in the end, I kept the K100 and sold the D40 (this morning actually).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:31 PM   #7

I was under the impression that you were severely limited on what lenses could be used on the D40 because of the lack of a focus motor in the body, so you need to buy more expensice lenses for it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:42 PM   #8

another believer.

thanks for an honest real world opinion. these are the best anyone could want.

roy
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:28 AM   #9

Thank you all very much forall replies not much input about about the D40 lenses ie canyou use longer zooms I wont be buying nikon vs lenses though too expensive me thinks,and 35mm / 50mm primes are they all able to fit ? I was most surprised to learn the Nikon has a brighter viewfinder than the Pentax that is a big concern with me is it a dealkiller the Pentax viewfinder problem :shock:mentioned, One thing more are the Pentax 18/mm/55mm kit lens as good as the Nikon18mm/55mmkit lens? then going longer how about the Pentax 55mm/200mm looks good value is it better than the Nikon 50mm/200mm ( none vs lens .)
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:23 AM   #10

I am not sure if you have gone to a camera store and had a play. That is truly the only way you will know what YOU like.

Personally, I have used Nikon D200 and the Pentax DL and K10. Only once ever looking through a viewfinder did I ever go WOW that is big and bright and that was with a Canon , but that was a pro level EOS-1D. Most a very similar.

It is not until you have one in your hands and then swap directly to the other model will you see for yourself the differences, if any, and whether or not they are deal breakers for YOU.

The Pentax K100 takes great pictures and the SR is a deal maker for some. The Nikons have always been known for fast AF, Pentax are known for ACCURATE AF.

Pentax also offers a huge range of lenses (old and 3rd party) that can change how you do your photography.

My suggestion to you is to get to a camera store with both models and have a hands on feel and play. Thats how I came to my decision to buy Pentax, how it felt in my hands. If you are not comfortable then look at something else.

There is no such thing as the perfect camera for everyone.

I hope you find a camera that works for you and allows you to take the pictures you want.

Lastly, image quality and results are very similar between all camera makes. I have yet to hear of a situation where someone has gone, "yuck" or "My god, what camera was used to take that picture, it is terrible."

I have been amazed by comments by different people about image quality of different brands/models and so forth.

I believe that if someone posted a picture on the forum, no-one without looking at EXIF data, could say whether the picture was taken with Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Olympus or so forth.

Good luck with your camera choice and I hope you like the PENTAX, because we do..

Crash :G

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote