Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1

I have some questions about firmware, are they more or less updates for your camera to increase perforamce? What type of areas do firmware updates cover, i.e. noise reduction, exposure ect...?

Are these updates downloadable through a usb commection or do your have to send the body in? Where do you find firmware updates, the manufactures website?

As you can see I have a lot of questions, I'm kind of in the dark about it. Anyone that wants to lend a hand and inform me about firmware or give some websites where i can read about it would be much appreciated. Thanks
abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2

Here you find all downloads available for Pentax products. Firmware updates for all Pentax cameras, Photo Lab updates and USB drivers for Optio cameras.

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/supp...d_digital.html

When you download the file you need you get a printable instructions file. It's actually very easy to do the upgrade.

You also need a SD card with at least 8 MB to be able to do the upgrade in the camera, and a set of fresh batteries.

Good luck!

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:41 PM   #3

In addition to what Kjell said, firmware updates can do all kinds of things. The first K10 update added a number of options for how the wheels work, along with other things. There was a DS update that changed the menu options to give it some of the functionality of the DS2. One of the K100 updates allowed the camera to use the new HD cards - there are all kinds of reasons why Pentax might put out firmware updates. As Kjell said, it's not difficult to update your firmware, but do make sure you have freshly charged batteries before beginning the install process.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:41 PM   #4

Hi,

And an other thing to think about before you do a firmware upgrade, Is do I really need it. What I am saying is if your camera is doing everything that you want it to do then why change it.

What I do is just download the firmware updates to an empty folder and save them. If at a future date I find that I really need to update my firmware, Then I do so.

The choice is up to you. But remember it is nice to have the choice....

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:33 PM   #5

I won't upgrade to any new firmware until they include the "debug" mode focus fix in the firmware! It has been just an incredible difference since I've adjusted the FF/BF issues with each lens I have..................

cheers, Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:50 AM   #6

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
I won't upgrade to any new firmware until they include the "debug" mode focus fix in the firmware! It has been just an incredible difference since I've adjusted the FF/BF issues with each lens I have..................

cheers, Wayne
From Pentax World I said:

I have a feeling, that rather than expressing certain defaults in a system and stating that they will be solving them as a firmware update, companies address these problems without any form of communication to the public and they disappear as if they never happened in the first place, so new users never even knew they existed as an issue.

In fact I find my exposure no longer underexposes in RAW, my auto focus is faster and more on the money and there are less artefacts at 1600 iso. These are just my observations. Perhaps it is a "Placebo" effect but...I don't think so.
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote