Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:56 PM   #11

Corpsy, thank you for the info. I'm not very much after flash photography either, forI have always preferred available light.

Btw, I recentlycompared two cameras at the retail store, takingphotos at auto mode. Here is how they turned out be: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=81
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:00 PM   #12

I just read an article on the Nikon D40 that would make me think twice. No on board autofocus motor. This camera will only accept lenses with the motor in-lens. Nice thing about my K10d is it's compatable with both type lenses. Your choices will be limited when buying lenses for the Nikon at least for a while.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:06 PM   #13

Oh and if you're planing on shooting indoors with available light the kit lens on either cammight notsuffice. If you chose the Pentax I'd pick up the 50mm f1.4 or one of the limiteds. I got the 77mm f1.8 limited and it's awesome glass for portraits. In your case... wanting to take museum pics you might want a wider angle limited lens.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:08 AM   #14

Hi bahadir,

If you remember that I switched from Canon to Pentax. I originally wanted the Pentax and should have spent the money to get it instead of the Canon.

In the Two test shots that you showed in that other thread, what where the settings in the cameras menu? I am not a fanboy of any system I will use the one that gives me the comfort and ease of use. Also give me the results that I see with my Eye, Not what the camera thinks it should be.

Of the two test shots I see a more natural look to the Pentax shot. The Nikon shot is Way too Bright (Not Natural Looking). But this is the way I see it thru My Eyes, Not thru your Eyes.

To Me, I have the Best Model (the ist D). That is till they came out with the K10D.

So My Friend, This is Totally your decision. Get the one that fits into your price range Now and in the future, Feels the most comfortable to use and Gives you the results that you what.

You are not just buying a camera, You are buying a SYSTEM!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:47 PM   #15

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
Oh and if you're planing on shooting indoors with available light the kit lens on either cammight notsuffice. If you chose the Pentax I'd pick up the 50mm f1.4 or one of the limiteds. I got the 77mm f1.8 limited and it's awesome glass for portraits. In your case... wanting to take museum pics you might want a wider angle limited lens.
Thank you for the lens suggestion! The idea ofchosing decent second hand lens among a great deal of variety to fit the k100d sounds so tempting in favour of Pentax : )

.................................................. ...........

So nice to hear from you again, Rudy !

Thank you for providing your impressions I have always admired. I think I might have shot better images with either camera if I had time to go through their menus!The exif of the Pentax shot is not visable due to the software I used for resizing. Here's the info of the Pentax shot in the first set: Exposure T: 1/30; f/3.5; Landscape mode; ISO: 200; Exposure bias: 0; Metering mode: Pattern; flash fired, auto mode; Focal Length: 18mm.

Btw,the prospect ofenjoying thekind assistance of the Pentax guys here as well as the system itself already soundssooocool : )
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:39 PM   #16

I will second Spirtibro's advice. If you are wanting to shoot indoors with available light, a 50mm f1.7 or 1.4 lens is a "must have." The nice thing about the Pentax system is that you can buy older manual focus lenses, get excellent quality glass, and save a bundle over buying a new AF lens. The kit lens is nice but it is *that* fast.

This forum was one of my deciding factors in choosing Pentax. I have learned, and continue to learn, so much from the posts here.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:33 AM   #17

Tim, thank you for reminding me Spirtibro's advice about the lens. Ishould also search for 'sharp!'wide angle prime lenses (ranging from 12 to 18)available forinterior shots.

I think I'll appreciate your good advices even more once when I firmly decide to possess the k100d to get involved in actual pleasure of shooting : )

Quote:
This forum was one of my deciding factors in choosing Pentax. I have learned, and continue to learn, so much from the posts here.
In my mother tongue there's a proverb accentuating the importance ofchosing theneighbourhood, which is even more important than the house itself :-)