Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Hi, this is my first post to this forum : )

As with many others I was also uncertain about which DSLR camera to choose and downloaded many pictures to compare between the D40 and the k100d.( Ah, Btw I should say I do not consider buying a lens other than the kit lens for the near future). Iobserved thatthe metering system of the Pentax did not let clipped highlights and the colour department produced somewhat more distinguishable tones than the Nikon, though Nikon lookedslightly better at close ups which is due to the lens IMO. To tell the truth I was more inclined to Nikon before my humble research. Now, thanks to Tullio's helpful comments also I am seriously considering the k100d.

Now my only concern is the AF. I am planning to use this camera indoors, in museums especially.I would like to hear your experiences and comments on this issue. I also tried both the k100d and the D40in the retail shop shooting two scenes indoors.One blurry pic. I shot with the Pentaxtroubled me, thoughtheotherimageappearedeven sharperand more saturatedthan that of the Nikon.

Thanks in advance : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2
TC3

I was set on a Nikon but went with the K100D as i like no flash low light pics and the SR seemed the way to go. I have been real happy with the performace of the K100D and the kit lens does very well once you know how to get the best of it.

Good luck with your choice cos i am very happy with mine
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Iwas set on a Nikon but went with the K100D as i like no flash low light pics and the SR seemed the way to go. I have been real happy with the performace of the K100D and the kit lens does very well once you know how to get the best of it.
Ah, help started to pour in

Thank you so much for sharing your experience which is likely to determine mine.

Btw, how about keeping the SR on or off? I read somewhere that turning the SR on when not really necessary might have some adversary effect on image quality:?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:47 PM   #4

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Iwas set on a Nikon but went with the K100D as i like no flash low light pics and the SR seemed the way to go. I have been real happy with the performace of the K100D and the kit lens does very well once you know how to get the best of it.
Ah, help started to pour in

Thank you so much for sharing your experience which is likely to determine mine.

Btw, how about keeping the SR on or off? I read somewhere that turning the SR on when not really necessary might have some adversary effect on image quality:?
I have never had my SR turned off. 90% of my photos is of Free Ranging Wildlife and they like low light.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:19 PM   #5

Thank you Roger! Actually, that's been a relief!!

You can follow the link below to read the review mentioning the SR issue.

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html
Quote:
Thus, the above real-life short comparison shows that if you do not need SR, it would be better to turn it off because it might introduce very slight blur instead of making sharper pictures. You can see that a steady hand and/or proper shooting technique (which you can see later on in the next paragraphs) will *always* help, even you shoot below the "safe" shutter speed according to the 1 / (effective 135 film focal length) rule. The SR might introduce some undesirable blur which few people would have been aware of. If this side-effect, if any is existent, is to be explained, it is just because no engineering system on this planet is perfect.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:33 PM   #6

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Roger! Actually, that's been a relief!!

You can follow the link below to read the review mentioning the SR issue.

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html
Quote:
Thus, the above real-life short comparison shows that if you do not need SR, it would be better to turn it off because it might introduce very slight blur instead of making sharper pictures. You can see that a steady hand and/or proper shooting technique (which you can see later on in the next paragraphs) will *always* help, even you shoot below the "safe" shutter speed according to the 1 / (effective 135 film focal length) rule. The SR might introduce some undesirable blur which few people would have been aware of. If this side-effect, if any is existent, is to be explained, it is just because no engineering system on this planet is perfect.
bahadir I really know very little about cameras. I have read most review about the K10D and got myself very confused. What I did do both for the K10D and the lenses I bought is look at real life photos not photos in a lab. I found K10 photos that I really did like so I say to myself if they can do that so can I. The same thing with the lenses. I use my Bigma most of the time and there is all kind of negative things written about it just like the K10D. Well it works for me just like it worked for the folks that I looked at their photos that I liked.

My suggestion is look up some photos that are usint the equipment you are thinking about and if you find some you really like then go for it. If they can do it so can you.

I even wrote a review for the K10D. Here is the link.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:53 PM   #7

Roger, I've already read your review:'K10 is for Dummies'
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:20 PM   #8

I bought the Pentax K100D plus the Sigma 70-300mm 'APO' lens for the extra quality and also the 18-125mm, so I have a all round kit.

You can see K100D photos at -
www.flickr.com/search/?s...l&q=K100D&m=text

You can see my K100D photos at -http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Check out reviews with -
Google "K100D review"

I Love My K100D,
Rodney
www.wolf9.org
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:58 PM   #9

Rodney,thank you for the lens tips and the links. I especially liked your bird shots

You're quitepleased with the AF performance I suppose...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:28 PM   #10

You say that you're only interested in a kit lens for the time being, but it's probably worth considering that the D40 has a very limited selection of lenses due to lacking an internal focus motor. The Pentax has a larger selection of new lenses available and a huge selection of quality used lenses which allows for much more room to grow, especially on a budget.

The Pentax also has the obvious advantage of the SR.

If you think you'll mostly be shooting JPG, the Nikon has an advantage there as it's internal processing is better and the images will come out sharper looking. If you shoot mostly RAW, there probably isn't much difference. The Nikon also has better continuous shooting, and I've read that it's better for flash photography as there are higher quality flashes available for the Nikon, but that's not something I've ever looked into.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote