Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:31 AM   #21

I still like them because they are so sharp and you can see the scales. Have you tried to play with levels yet? Make a level adjustment layer, then check to see where the spikes are on your histogram. If there's a blank space on either the right or the left side of the histogram, move the triangles just below the graph over to where they touch where the black is on the graph (move the one on the left to the right, and the one on the right to the left). Play with that for a while to see what it does to the contrast - it's fun to play with (and what I use the most for adjusting my pictures - for some reason I don't deal as well with curves).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:05 PM   #22

here's one that's pretty..
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:42 AM   #23

Thought I'd add these 3 pictures to this thread, even though they are turtles and not reptiles, and I didn't think they were good enough to warrant their own thread. However, the point is interesting. This is how most of my in-water turtle images end up looking like:
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:44 AM   #24

I thought this was one of my better ones, actually taken first (the day before the previous and the next one). However, it still has some significant problems with it. You can actually see part of the turtle that is under water, but not much.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:50 AM   #25

All three of these pictures were taken with the Phoenix 100mm macro lens (I was in the botanical gardens for lunch and running late - didn't bother to change lenses the first day). That got me thinking about the only polarizer I happen to have, which just happens to fit this lens. This was taken with the polarizer set to maximum effect. The upper turtle is completely submerged (though not far below the surface of the murky water). It was taken a couple of minutes after the first picture and from a slightly different location. Love those polarizers, so versatile.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:28 AM   #26

very nice H.. my problem with CPs is the light fall off and my shaky hands. maybe this summer after i get the k10 i'll give one a try.

roy
oops, forgot to post a reptile.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:58 AM   #27

Love your lizard!

By the way, it took a couple to not show camera shake - this pond is shaded and with a linear polarizer set to its maximum effect, the shutter speeds were slower than I can reliably handle with a 100mm lens. Didn't think about boosting the ISO up to 1600.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:59 AM   #28

Most colorful Iguana I have found.

Ed
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:31 PM   #29

ed, i really liked this shot the 1st time i saw it. i really really llike it again..

roy
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:41 AM   #30

Today I went looking for wildflowers. I found very few - only a couple of sad-looking poppies. But as I was walking along, I happened to look over and spotted this fellow. Islowly got to within about 15 feet (about minimum focusing distance for my 300 lens). He's nothing special, just a desert lizard common to our area (shot along a dirt road up on Lieber Mountain).
Attached Images