Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:21 PM   #1

In the past few months there have been some rather exciting developments. The technology is moving at an incredibly fast pace. Where will we be in two years and what will be the standard resolution for the masses using DSLR's. What will be at the forefront and who will be setting new precedents.

Here is my prediction. The standard base level Pentax will be 12 mega pixels. It will have a range of 100 to 3200 iso and will have built in SR, sensor cleaning and image view as well as other novel features like high speed bluetooth and infra red tether support. The next step up will be the equivalent of the K10D and will have a native resolution of 12.8 mega pixels on a 1.25 ratio sensor. It will have a range of 50-6400 iso and will feature a new highly evolved SR system that will allow for a true 4 stops of shake reduction as well as Pan SR. It will also have an improved sensor cleaning system as well as high speed Bluetooth capability and infra red tether support. It will shoot at 6 fps and be able to shoot a full 2 gig card without needing to re-buffer. It will allow up to 30 Raw images to be shot in rapid fire.

Pentax will not yet have released their FF sensor dslr, but rumors will abound about the eventual release of their 22 megapixel FF DSLR.

The new 645D will have evolved to the 645D Mkll with a 45 megapixel sensor.

That is my take. Now that it is written in concrete let's see how close I am to this prediction in two years..

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:24 PM   #2

I for one hope you are right.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

having a phone and satellite navigation built in would be handy

for when i get lost in the bush
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:09 AM   #4

Change two years to five years and maybe you'll be less disappointed.

I don't doubt they'll go to 12 MP in a couple years, but improvements in sensor technology have been coming slower and slower. The last 5 or 6 Pentax DSLRs have used the exact same sensor technology, and while I know there is more advanced stuff coming down the pipe, it'll probably be more than 2 years before Pentax makes any signficant technological leaps.

When they moved from 6 MP to 10 MP, the camera lost about half a stop in effective sensitivity, so that the highest usable ISO setting for print went from 1600 to about 1200. It'll likely drop even lower if they go to 12 MP, so I doubt ISO 3200 would serve much purpose, though they might go the route of Panasonic's FZ50 and set the noise reduction to overdrive.

Since I think Pentax is trying to attract more from the amateur market which is increasingly moving from digicams to DSLR, I think you'll start to see more of the features which appeal to the average consumer, like a live preview LCD that pulls out and twists, and maybe a movie mode.

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:23 AM   #5

They keep up their aggressive firmware updating as they have with the 10D (and 100 too) and do all they can in firmware.... until at least new hardware/model out....

They will keep building momentum, and rapidly overcoming their past 10-15 years of film decline to digiital misstepps.

Tghey HAVE found their NICHE.... and with C&N in oblivious siesta... really have a chance while C &N are napping to take over the entry to near and even semi/light pro market.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6

Where will Pentax be in two years? Well at least one of them will be around my neck! :lol:
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:02 PM   #7

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
They keep up their aggressive firmware updating as they have with the 10D (and 100 too) and do all they can in firmware.... until at least new hardware/model out....

They will keep building momentum, and rapidly overcoming their past 10-15 years of film decline to digiital misstepps.

Tghey HAVE found their NICHE.... and with C&N in oblivious siesta... really have a chance while C &N are napping to take over the entry to near and even semi/light pro market.

I think this is a possibility, Canon and Nikon for the pros and Pentax taking a fair chunk of the entry level market, just like in the K1000 days.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:35 PM   #8

I hope they start getting out more PRO-like lenses and bodies.
They get a lot of new younger folks to the system and soon they will want more. I know I do.

For example, I would not hesitate to buy a 70-200mm F2.8. Right now the only choice is Sigma or Tamron (yet to be released). The primes are fun but not as versatile.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:22 PM   #9

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
I hope they start getting out more PRO-like lenses and bodies.
They get a lot of new younger folks to the system and soon they will want more. I know I do.

For example, I would not hesitate to buy a 70-200mm F2.8. Right now the only choice is Sigma or Tamron (yet to be released). The primes are fun but not as versatile.
I think you may be in for a big surprise come September-October 2007...
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote