Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:19 AM   #11

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Here is my rear fill flash, note the glow behind the bride. An of Bell and Howell manual flash with a slave and a tripod mount. It plugs in so nno batteries required.
Ira,

Is that an optical sensor operating that manual flash as a slave? That looks like to me so. As it does not do pttl, you have to do ev compensation on your DL/Ds manually?

Daniel
Daniel

I use a flash meter to set exposures with my manual flash units (A Sekonic) the cameras are then set on M at 1/100 and the appropriate f stop. I have this flash plus another optical sensor I use on one of my Vivitar 285s and then two AC slave strobes that I can combine for a number of different small lighting setups. Here is a look at what I use: http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/2...expensive.html

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:59 AM   #12

Ira, thanks for the link. I also enjoyed looking at your other photos.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:44 AM   #13

My most recent DIY photo project! Here it is again...

*ist DS, Tele Lentar F450mm f1:6.5, Vivitar 2x Teleconvertor, gun grip converted to have two stage electric contacts and of course a piece of bent aluminium.

I found this to be very good provided there is something to rest the 'muzzle' on.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:16 PM   #14

Nice work John, a modern functional DIY interpretation of the old Russian Zenit Photosniper.

Ira
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:17 PM   #15

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Ira, thanks for the link. I also enjoyed looking at your other photos.

Glenn
Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever looks at that blog, but I keep adding to it about once a week. Thanks for the comments.

Ira
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:21 PM   #16
TDN

My entry for this month:

"How to make a non-bouncing flash bounce"

I needed a fash unit to do some indoor shooting, but all I had was this old flash unit that can only do ugly direct flash.

after countless efforts to diffuse the light, I realised that the problem wasn't the diffusion it was the fact that it was direct flash.

So I had to find a way to make my direct flash ounce off the ceiling or wall.

Here's how you make it:

1. find a piece of cardboard or other sturdy material you can cut

2. cut a long stroke out of the cardboard (make it wide enough) and wrap it around your flash unit, leaving the side where the lightsource is open.

3. Mark the places on both sides where the open side crosses with the cardboard.

4. Cut an angle out of the ends of the cardboard. Start at the marking you made in the previous step at the bottom, and cut towards the top so that you get a 45 degree angle. The goal is to bounce the light straight upward.

5. cut a slightly wider stroke out of the cardboard to fit the slope we just made.

6. wrap all parts with alumnium foil and translucent tape.

7. tape the parts together as in the picture below.

8. slide it over your flash and your ready to go.

(9. if the bouncer is blocking any buttons, cut outa small piece where that button will be, I did it for my "on/off" button)

!!! One important thing: make sure the sloping part sticks out higher than the flash. Otherwise you'll end up with an overexposure at the top of your frame

This is why the stroke needs to be wide enough

Here's how it looks

Here it is mounted on the DL

And here is a shot taken with this one bounced off the wall.

ISO 400, f5.6 and 1/90 , without flash this wouldnt have been visible.

Notice how there are no harsh shadows.

The more power in your flash, the better this will work... Mine is fairly weak (GN 16) and only worked well on a maximum distance of 3 to 4 feet. I'd say this decreases the amount of light compared to direct flash about 3 to 4 times.

Don't worry if you crackle the aluninium foil a little, this'll further diffuse the light.

Hope this can help some people out

While this is an acceptable alternative for now, a Sigma EF-500 ST is first on the list for me...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:40 PM   #17

Tom,

I have a couple of flash in my basement like that. Good idea. Haven't thought of that.

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:42 PM   #18

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
My most recent DIY* photo project!* Here it is again...

*ist DS,* Tele Lentar F450mm* f1:6.5, Vivitar 2x Teleconvertor, gun grip converted to have two stage electric contacts and of course a piece of bent aluminium.

I found this to be very good provided there is something to rest the 'muzzle' on.
I think Roy has something like rifle setup as yours . I have a trip in mid May to France and Tel Aviv. Well the Israelis may not allow this one though.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:34 PM   #19
TDN

Thanks Daniel.

I really like the rifle setup, but I think it would look cooler with a wooden shoulderpiece, maybe from a toy gun?

The self made AC cord for the flashes is just brilliant! Really takes guts to open them up and mess around with the electronics like that! Great job
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:58 PM   #20

TDN wrote
Quote:
I really like the rifle setup, but I think it would look cooler with a wooden shoulderpiece, maybe from a toy gun?
Hmmm... I did consider buying a cheap Chinese air rifle.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote