Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:10 AM   #41

good pix. you're only using 1 resistor per 2 LEDs. what do you have the array incased in?? hopefully it looks better than mine.

roy
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:08 AM   #42

Roy,

You guys can start some kind of cottage industry in your garage by making those LED ring flash. I think to maximise the market, a manual set-up which also apply to Canon/Nikon/Minolta/Pentax is the best for start up. With dslr, a manual LED flash for macro shots is entirely feasible and marketable. Just my take.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:15 AM   #43

18 LED's (go to ebay and search "pure white led's", and there will be a number of options. Try and get the ones with the higher degree of lighting angle)
Resistors – 9 resistors, 1/8 watt, 62 ohm
9 volt battery harness – comes in packages of 3 at Radio Shack
Housing – I used a Carlon P258LT 3" PVC Plus – it is an electrical conduit fitting. You can get them at Home Depot for about $1.50
Wire – small gauge general purpose wiring.

robar wrote:
Quote:
good pix. you're only using 1 resistor per 2 LEDs. what do you have the array incased in?? hopefully it looks better than mine.

roy
Attached Images

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:35 AM   #44

what's the degree spread of the LEDs. mine were only 25degrees. that's why i left the leads stick out 3/4''. i can focus them for different lenses. i had 24, 20,000mcd in the array.
you're a lot neater than i am.

daniel, these are not flashes, they are lights. they will work on any camera. since they are on all the time you just turn them on and shoot in Av at any aperture. i've forgotten what exposures i was getting. since it's raining here today i'll pull it out and check.

roy
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:54 AM   #45

robar wrote:
Quote:
what's the degree spread of the LEDs. mine were only 25degrees. that's why i left the leads stick out 3/4''. i can focus them for different lenses. i had 24, 20,000mcd in the array.
you're a lot neater than i am.

daniel, these are not flashes, they are lights. they will work on any camera. since they are on all the time you just turn them on and shoot in Av at any aperture. i've forgotten what exposures i was getting. since it's raining here today i'll pull it out and check.

roy
Roy, I think that mine were only 20 or 25 degrees also - can't exactly remember. On the housing, they were placed at 20 degree intervals. One good thing about this housing, is that the plastic is sturdy enough, but also flexible enough to adjust to different size lenses or barrels. I haven't use it, to be honest, on either my DS or K10D, as I had made it originally for my Panasonic FZ20, which is my opinion was a groundbreaker - IS, great range, top notch lens, wonderful pics. I miss it, but not enough to go back
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:52 AM   #46

i liked my fuji also but.........
i just got out the vivitar and took some shots.. after 2 years i finally got my inch worm. i'll post in another thread. wife is on main machine now.

roy
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:21 AM   #47

Before we know , another month comes. And we are all getting older and wiser with the knowledge and insight we get from this forum. Got to do the tough job of voting on the DIY idea we see in Feb and we have no lack of that.

Kjell (bilybianca) got some cool DIY lens case. Roy (Robar) brought in the brilliant 24 light array. Nznhut provides the hook up schematic. Tom's (TDN) idea of turning an old fashion non-bouncing flash into a bouncing one is very practical for a couple of flash I have in my basement. I like Ira's (Monza 76) idea of fill flash too.

On balance my vote goes to Roy's entry of his 3 DIY gadgets in one

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:08 AM   #48

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I am DIY challenged which is why I did not enter this month's contest. A lot of very innovative and very creative entries. However, my vote goes for simplicity (i.e. anything that I can replicate without setting the living room on fire)! Therefore I vote forKjelland his lens case! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:06 PM   #49

While I am Not Totaly DIY Challanged, I'm lazy and time challenged. Thats why i have not entered.
Having said that. Everyone's DIY projects are great, but My vote also goes to Kjell

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:32 PM   #50

While Kjell's looks really professional, having had an electrial engineer for a Dad, I'm going for Roy's. Thanks and I am very impressed with all of your skills!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote