Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1

Well, I certainly would not have expected this given the overwhelming number of great pict posted here.
But anyway thanks for you guys and gals.
For March, I had originally been thinking about a theme on spring or the expectation of spring. But I guess that for certain geographical area this may not be possible. Ask Crash and he would not have a spring at all.
Here you go.
For March, let us have a DIY theme.
You can post pict and notes on your DIY project that you have undertaken for photography or its betterment and the steps you took.
Let's roll.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Here is my entry

This is my bounce card which is part of a white plastic box cut out and bent in such a shape that it bounces the flash light forward. This is handy when the ceiling is too high or of a non-white color.

As seen. I stick the card (velcros) to the back of my AF360 . The card is readily detachable for use if direct flash is needed. I use it in all my macro shots

Daniel

Edited Mar 12
I have one bounce card for 2 flash that I have for my DL & K100D
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:15 AM   #3

Well, there are a couple of people here who will certainly have some interesting entries. Hey Roy, time to show off the macro flashkit again, hey Kjell, didn't you have a very elaborate tripod mount for a big telephoto lens?

I can't wait. One question, will this be judged on the photo entered or the creativity of the project?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Well,¬* there are a couple of people here who will certainly have some interesting entries.¬* Hey Roy,¬* time to show off the macro flash¬*kit again,¬* hey Kjell, didn't you have a very elaborate tripod mount for a big telephoto lens?

I can't wait.¬* One question,¬* will this be judged on the photo entered or the creativity of the project?

Ira
I would believe the creativity and the effectiveness in achieving the betterment counts more for this Challenge.

As to my entry: my idea was original and it is very likely there are people doing that for ages without me knowing.

Roy had something very close to my idea. But he called it DIY diffuser. And he has made it in different ways.

Roy's pict

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...30&forum_id=80

In this case, forum members have to judge which is easier to make or which is more convenient in using . And they should vote.

There are DIY ideas to change Manual lens to A lens, disassembling and assembling of lens for repair.......and hundred of others.

>will this be judged on the photo entered or the >creativity of the project?

>Ira

Here is the scenario: The subject is photogenic and that was me. People should give me more weight. The pict was taken by another Pentaxian (Jerry of
http://www.pbase.com/tocarver).

Just kidding.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:48 AM   #5

I have an old Pentax ref-converter which only fit the older cameras (pre-M-series) such as the Spotmatics and the early K-series (KX, KM, K2, K1000). Very well made but the mount will not fit on the newer cameras which have a larger viewfinder. It is amazing what a screwdriver and a pair of pliers can do.I first thought of using a dremel to cut away some metal, but my skills are limited, so I removed the mount, reshaped it to fit the new viewfinders, and then reassembled it. The old refconverter leaves an inverted (left to right) image, like my old TLR camera but the optical and the build quality is incredible (the crackle paint is over real metal).

Here is a picture of the result:

Ira
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:46 AM   #6

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I have an old Pentax ref-converter which only fit the older cameras (pre-M-series) such as the Spotmatics and the early K-series (KX,¬* KM,¬* K2,¬* K1000).¬*¬* Very well made but the mount will not fit on the newer cameras which have a larger viewfinder. It is amazing what a screwdriver and a pair of pliers can do.¬*I first thought of using a dremel to cut away some metal, but my skills are limited,¬* so I removed the mount, reshaped it to fit the new viewfinders, and then reassembled it.¬* The old refconverter leaves an inverted (left to right) image,¬* like my old TLR camera but the optical and the build quality is incredible (the crackle paint is over real metal).

Ira
Ira,

That is beautiful. I am not familiar with the ref converter. Does it magnify the image from the viewfinder? It looks like it is a lot more than a simple eyepiece. Apparently it is a cool piece of optics for my poor eyesight.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:50 AM   #7

Here is my rear fill flash, note the glow behind the bride. An of Bell and Howell manual flash with a slave and a tripod mount. It plugs in so nno batteries required.
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:32 AM   #8

Hre is my 2 cents worth...

I opened up both my Vivitar flash units (2500 and a 3500) and soldered a pigtail (from Radio Shack) to the battery terminals (in parallel). In order to get the pigtail wire (6 inch) out of the unit(s), I drilled a small hole at the point where the case joins together. This allows me to have easy access into the unit in the future. I power it with a 3V AC-DC power adapter (Radio Shack). My adapter is capable of 800mA. Both flashes work well after the mod.

Benefits:
- can be powered either by battery or ac adapter.
- About 10 munites per flash (Reassembly took the most time)
- Useful in studio setting
- Can be effectively used for key/hair/back light scenario
- In the auto-modes, recharge time is near instant
- In the manual mode takes 7-9 seconds
- In the low power mode (2500,one third power), instant availability
- Because the conx is a parallel one, the batteries can remain in the case while
external power is applied (your risk...ymmv). The voltage wll not change(3V)
- By extending the zoom you can control the beam, of the light for backlight studio
work
- The 2500 allows you to reduce the power to satisfy light ratio requirements

Cautions
- Careful AC power
- I would not personally have batteries in while on external power
- Pigtail can seem aesthetically displeasing
- Do not fire too many flashes in quick sequence - risk of blowing the tube
- Everything else we do to take care of what is ours :-)

Feroz

p.s. The picture was taken with the 28-80 Pentax FA lens with my vivitar 2X Macro Teleconverter and built in flash. That TC amazes me with its lack of softness as seen when using many 2X TCs.
Attached Images

fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:20 PM   #9

Great idea Feroz, makes a great mini studio setup.

Ira
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:55 AM   #10

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Here is my rear fill flash,¬* note the glow behind the bride.¬* An of Bell and Howell manual flash with a slave and a tripod mount.¬* It plugs in so nno batteries required.
Ira,

Is that an optical sensor operating that manual flash as a slave? That looks like to me so. As it does not do pttl, you have to do ev compensation on your DL/Ds manually?

Daniel