Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:32 PM   #1

This week is the 12 Hours of Sebring, famous with Le Mans racing fans all over the world and completely unknown to everyone else. Suffice to say that this week 100,000 race fans descend on our county and by Saturday night, 90,000 of them will be completely intoxicated :?. Saturday me and a few dozenotherdeputieswill be dealing with the drunks, today, I had time to take some pictures.

I was using a Tamron Adaptall SP 180mm f2.5 lens for most of these shots. This is the limited edition anniversary lens. After giving up on ever affording a Green * Pentax lens, this seemed like the next best thing. The other lens I used is the Sigma 24-135mm; I immediately noticed better color and sharpness with the Tamron.

These first shots were taken standing next to a Nikon shooter. He was a very pleasant fellow who was giving me tips and was completely shocked when I told him I was using a manual focus/manual meter lens. None of these shots are cropped, in the first threethe cars took up almost the entire frame. Of course, there are a dozen shots with a bumper cut off for every good shot I got.

I found that panning is much like shooting shotgun, the secret is good follow through. Once I figured out where to focus my lens, I got some shots that I was very pleased with. I hope you like them.

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:33 PM   #2

Second shot, still using the Tamron:
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:35 PM   #3

This car literally filled the frame:
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:37 PM   #4

I took this shot at 1/3000. The car looks like it is standing still. I found that I prefered the panning effect, even if it was more difficult:

Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:40 PM   #5

OK, this one WAS standing still, but Cobras are cool. This shot was taken with the Sigma 24-135. I hope to get a few more shots as the week goes on, and I would sure appreciate any advice for doing better. Thanks for looking!

Tim
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:28 PM   #6

I have no advice for you, as i am a newbie to this stuff, but pleeeeease take a lot more shots of these beautiful cars !!! I just wish there was a track like Sebring in my neck of the woods < St Louis > i would absolutely love to watch some ALMS action live !!!

P.S. Some Ferrari shots would be greatly appreciated
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:45 PM   #7

All I can say is, I'm impressed! I agree, I like the panning shots best, but the fast shutter speed picture is still quite something, considering how fast those cars go. Stop action would look better if it were a horse jumping a fence, or a human in a race - then you get an idea that the person is moving fast. With race cars, there's nothing really to give the viewer the feeling of speed and action.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:09 PM   #8

Tim,

Superb shots! I have to say I like the panning effect much more. The 2nd shot of the white Porsche is my favorite. Much more work without that auto focus ha!

I also have the sigma 24-135 and seem to find it a little soft when compared to all my old manual focus fixed lens.

Looks like you stopped it down enough on that Cobra picture though because that came out great.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:22 PM   #9

Very nice pics for any lens. It really impresses me that you got those action shots with a fully manual lens. I bet you worked pretty hard for those. I really like the Cobra.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:55 PM   #10

The Cobra is cool, because it is a Cobra. The panning shots are fantastic because the right "bit" is in focus.

I have not managed to get a decent panning shot yet. So easy to learn, So hard to master.

Congrats on great shots.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote