Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1

I'm always willing to try something new, so I've been playing with the post processing methods that Ben posted. It's been fun to play with it and my results were surprising (at least to me).

One lunch break this week found me once again trying to appreciate modern sculpture. It's not something I've been able to figure out, but this one caught my eye. The lighting/conditions were terrible - the sculpture is darkish and placed under a shade tree. The building in the background has lots of white, so the dynamic range was well beyond the capability of the camera. Here's the picture I started out with (I did partly crop it before I resized it for here). I didn't think that much of the picture.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:30 AM   #2

Here's the picture (with a bit more cropping) after processing it by Ben's method. What do others think about the results? By the way, I still think the sculpture looks like the bucket the cow kicked.
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:47 AM   #3

I think you shoud reduce the opacity of the new layer even more than 50% to get rid of the extreme contrast, otherwise I like it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:09 AM   #4

Oops? What technique? :?

I think it has strong contrasts, maybe a tad too strong. On the other hand I am really focussed on the sculpture that way...
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:09 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I think you shoud reduce the opacity of the new layer even more than 50% to get rid of the extreme contrast, otherwise I like it.

Tom
Mtngal

Im With Tom on this. Great picture but,IMHO Way to Contrasty

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:20 AM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
Well, there you go..I think one would have to be blind not to see the difference. Very "3D" to say the least. The other possibility is to sharpen in Camera Raw at 25-35 percent and leave it at that not sharpening in PS. When in PS do your layer in B&W choose "Soft Light" and give it about 80 percent Fill and 80 percent opacity if you find your images too over sharpened.

http://www.olaphoto.com/zoom/benjamin-kanarek.php
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:56 AM   #7

It's interesting to see what others are making of this picture/processing differences. This was about the first time I tried the soft light layer, so I have no idea how to control its effects (or what it is supposed to be doing), other than changing the layer opacity - I'll have to figure out fill options for it. At the moment I'm still using PhotoLab for my conversions and PS6 for graphics. Maybe this weekend (keeping my fingers crossed) my computer will be back and I'll have CS2 and Lightroom to play with.

The biggest surprise I had was with the sharpening methods, and how often you can push it to (what I would have thought extreme) limits and still have it look good.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:49 AM   #8

If I had to choose I woud choose 1/2 way in between. You did gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:15 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It's interesting to see what others are making of this picture/processing differences. This was about the first time I tried the soft light layer, so I have no idea how to control its effects (or what it is supposed to be doing), other than changing the layer opacity - I'll have to figure out fill options for it. At the moment I'm still using PhotoLab for my conversions and PS6 for graphics. Maybe this weekend (keeping my fingers crossed) my computer will be back and I'll have CS2 and Lightroom to play with.

The biggest surprise I had was with the sharpening methods, and how often you can push it to (what I would have thought extreme) limits and still have it look good.
I think a good test of how far you can push the sharpening is to work with a photo of a bird flying in a clear sky and see how far you can go before you start to get halos around the edge of the bird.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:03 PM   #10

I am not sure I know about what filter/layer you talk here but the result you get reminds me of a combination of max/med/min filters that I use for "sharpening" in my pictures on a regular base.

Here is a quick attempt to produce something that looks close to your first try using "my magic".

Is there a place where you describe the "method" you talk about?

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote