Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:25 PM   #31

I would also expect the 18-55 to be better, but I don't think the 28-300 should be that bad. I looked at a lot of samples from the Sigma and Tamron 28-300 before buying and it wasn't a bad lens. This one seems bad. I ordered the Pentax 50-200 and it should be here next week. Once I have it I am going to contact Sigma about having them take a look at my 28-300 and make sure that there isn't something wrong.

Like I said I have heard a lot of about Sigma's QC and that often they need to be adjusted to get them right. But, once they are right they aren't bad lenses for the money and what they do.

We will see.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:40 AM   #32

Well that couldn't hurt.... but don't be surprised you get a it checked out fine reply.

I have had now seven SIGMA lenses for Canon and Pentax and the only really unsatisfactory one was the 28-300mm (Canon) And I don't think a "copy" problem... just real weak quality at the long end. (Most comments on it reflected same opinion)

The Pentax version new 18-50mm DC lens was not great but was all build factors not poor copy... actually pretty darn sharp, but too many cut corners making it literally JUST barely even DC coverage consistant over its range.... wide and wide open it suffered slightly dark corners with light flat backgrounds (like clear sky or white). The 2.8 EX 18-50mm is probably fine but the economy 3.5-56 could be better, I'd definately take the Pentax kit one over it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:17 AM   #33

I long ago stopped holding my breath over such things. Blue just isn't my color. But, I figure while I have it under warranty it couldn't hurt to make sure. I didn't expect miracles from it to start with I just didn't expect it to be this bad. The sample shots I looked at when doing research on which brand of 28-300 to get didn't show this bad of a problem.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote