Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:56 AM   #1

I finally read the PopPhoto article in this month's issue..."the $199 Photoshop Killer" & looked around on Ebay for it. I've got a chance to get for $175US w/ shipping & I'm wondering now if this is too good to be true. Has anyone had any problems with the ease of use of it?? It took me forever just to the basics in pse3 & I'm hoping Lightroom is everything that the ariticle said says it is.

Thanks for any help as always!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:41 AM   #2

Yes I am working with it and still learing its capabilities. So far I really like its power...and ease of use. I got a free copy because I was an owner of Pixmantec which was bought out by Adobe. Just ordered a new book by Scott Kelby from Amazon..about LIghtroom. Looking forward to learning from it. Also, there are several free video tutorials on Lightroom use at Adobe and several independent sites. It will just take me some time to get up to speed..but so far...so good
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:06 PM   #3

Yesterday I finally got my computer back, repaired (hooray!) and installed the released version of Lightroom. I had played with the beta version of it a while ago and really liked it. It doesn't replace Photoshop, but it does make certain photo manipulation easier. I really like its crop and rotate tools, along with its levels adjustment. I still use CS2 for sharpening rather than LR, and Lightroom won't resize your pictures, clone out something etc. It's pretty intuitive, especially if you are familiar with PSE. If you have some connection to a school, there's an Academic version available for $99 (how I got mine). Not sure I would have bought it at $199.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:35 PM   #4

I have it here also. Got mine because of the RSP Buyout. Quite truthfully I am Not Sure what I Like better. Due to varuious reason i have not really Being out Shooting.
The few i have Shoot, i have tried and While i like what I see, I really still Like RSP/RSE. I almost had no choice Because of recent switch To the k100D. But thanks to the guys over in the DPreview forum that moded RSP, i now can Open files from the K100.
So now that my big vacation In the Caribeen(Cruise) is at hand, I will have more Pictures to play around in Both and make my decision.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:26 PM   #5

Thanks whbroker, mtngal & Phil for your responses & insight! Right now I can't justify $175 for a program that doesn't resize or clone (which I'm a BIG fan of...thank you Mtngal!) But I'm having my wonderful wife (the teacher) check with the computer dept at school to see if they help out...$99 I could justify...especially for the RAW processing tool, which I need to be doing more of. I just have gotten into shooting jpeg & have been happy with the results but I know that RAW is easier to work with & with better results.

Thanks again to all!

Ron

PS...Phil have a wonderful & safe trip! Looking forward to seeing some nice, warm scenery posts!!! We had snow flurries here outside of St. Louis during our St. Patrick's Day parade.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:38 PM   #6

wadue wrote:
Quote:
PS...Phil have a wonderful & safe trip! Looking forward to seeing some nice, warm scenery posts!!! We had snow flurries here outside of St. Louis during our St. Patrick's Day parade.
i live a little west of St Louis < chesterfield > and we had snow too, nothing stuck, but man when it started the flakes were HUGE !! i wish i had my camera with me, i was out tooling around looking at the Tamron 70-300 LD DI at Schillers, lol
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Thanks whbroker, mtngal & Phil for your responses & insight! Right now I can't justify $175 for a program that doesn't resize or clone (which I'm a BIG fan of...thank you Mtngal!) But I'm having my wonderful wife (the teacher) check with the computer dept at school to see if they help out...$99 I could justify...especially for the RAW processing tool, which I need to be doing more of. I just have gotten into shooting jpeg & have been happy with the results but I know that RAW is easier to work with & with better results.

Thanks again to all!

Ron

Thanks Ron
Will do. We just got dumped on Friday. 12" of snow and 2" of ice. So I am ready for the 80's and Sunshine

Phil
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:33 PM   #8

Adobe's website has an academic store where you can download software (after purchasing).Your wife would need tobuy it and she has to fax her school ID to them before you could download it, but that's one option (I looked at Adobe's webstore before LR actually came out - wasn't sure our student store was going to carry it). The documentation you get with the program can be downloaded in a pdf file, so the only thing you don't get is the CD (something I really wanted, since I just spent the better part of two days re-installing everything on my new hard drive!). I think you can order the CD also, but not sure about that.

If you are on the fence about the program, check out the video tutorials on Adobe's website. I've been checking them out this afternoon (between downloading millions of updates) - I've learned quite a bit from them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:46 PM   #9

Here is another site that allows you to buy Academic Software. Again all thats needed is proof. I have bought software from them for my kids.
They are listing LR at $95. http://www.academicsuperstore.com/

Phil

Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:34 PM   #10

Thanks for more info, Phil & mtngal!!! I'll have to check those out...especially the academicsuperstore...I'm sure my wife will like that as well!

Steve, I'm happy to say that flakes weren't that big in Belleville on Saturday. So you live in Chesterfield...I'm in O'Fallon,IL. Maybe we could meet over at Forest Park or MoBot sometime & do some shooting or Busch Wildlife for that matter, also.

Thanks again,

Ron