Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:31 AM   #1

If one were to buy a Sigma DG-500 Super flash for use with a *istDL, will the flash unit be compatible with the newer Pentax models, or will I have to send the unit back for updating when I upgrade cameras

Inotherwords is Sigma shipping flash units that are updated to be compatible with the current line (future is hard to tell huh?) of Pentax Cameras and the PTTL protocol?

Just thinking foward a bit......

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:50 AM   #2

Hi Feroz,

See if you can find someone who has sent their flash into Sigma for updating and ask them for the serial number. Then call one of the better photo stores and ask them what the serial number of one of the Flashes that they have in stock. As long as is is higher, It should be one that already has been updated.

Or you might ask them if they could try one of theirs on a K10D to see if it has been updated.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:50 AM   #3

i've called them about mine as i plan to upgrade to the k10 this summer. i was told that depending on the model # off the flash that i would need to teset it to see of it works. some do. some don't. he could not tell me from what model # they changed.
hmmmm, makes you wonder..,

roy
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, I guess lets wait and see if some will pony up with more info.

Also, another question that crossed my mind is if one were to get a current version of the flash, will it be backwards compatilble with say the PTTL versioni in a DL or a DS?
One has to knoew these things these days!

Feroz

Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:31 PM   #5

Feroz

Backwards compatible is not an issue. Technicallly speaking a new flash should be K model compatible. Easiest way to check is to test the flash on a K10 in the shop when you are lookingat buying it.

If it is not compatible the flash will not sync and your images are dark, all other functions work, it flashes the power head zooms etc, just doesn't flash in sync with the shutter.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:24 AM   #6

I have the DG Super flash for my DL2 and wrote to Sigma asking about the compatability with the K100D and the K10D. Their response was to send the flash in for re-chipping when I get the new camera.

Darren

Dear Darren

Thank you for your email. Your flash requires an upgrade to fully
function with the K100, we can carry out this modification. If your
flash is under warranty we will carry out the service free of charge,
if not:

The cost will be either one of the following

1: £5.00 if you have proof of purchase for the lens from new which
is to cover return p&p.

2: £33.99 if you have no proof of purchase which is to cover the
cost of the rechipping and postage.

You can either enclose a cheque payable to: Sigma Imaging UK Ltd or
we can telephone you for credit card details.

Please send your lens to the following address

Sigma Imaging UK

13 Little Mundells

Welwyn Garden City

Herts

AL7 1EW

Kind regards

Sami

Miss Sami Colvin
Service Administrator
Sigma Imaging UK
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:16 AM   #7

What I garner from all this information is:

- Do not assume that the flash is rechipped just because it is of late production.

-Get an assurance (In writnig on the invoice) from the vendor (esp if mail order)

-Check it out during the warranty period with a K series camera

-Save the receipt for purchase

- Perhaps find out directly from Sigma (which I will do) and try to get a serial number point. Will let this thread know

All this bieng said, perhaps the AF360 might be a better buy????

Feroz
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:50 AM   #8

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
What I garner from all this information is:

- Do not assume that the flash is rechipped just because it is of late production.

-Get an assurance (In writnig on the invoice) from the vendor (esp if mail order)

-Check it out during the warranty period with a K series camera

-Save the receipt for purchase

- Perhaps find out directly from Sigma (which I will do) and try to get a serial number point. Will let this thread know

All this bieng said, perhaps the AF360 might be a better buy????

Feroz
3rd party flash gives you more bang for the buck (say 10-15%). Rechipping is inconvenient. I am lucky in that Sigma service is just 10 minutes drive away. But there are people who are a lot further off.
Sigma/Tamron has the economy of scale in catering for different mount and they just have to re-engineer it to suit the mount (Canon/Nikon/ Pentax /Minolta).

Daniel, Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:00 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I was under the impression that so long as the K series used PTTL, the Sigma 500DG Super should work since it is PTTL capable. :?

I opted to purchase the DG Super for my DL since my Sunpak (TTL) would consistently over expose in the auto modes. It is good to hear that a PTTL flash would work in the TTL mode (i.e. backwards compatible).

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:08 PM   #10

Jay,

Your DG Super will not work as is with the newer K series. You will have to send it in to have it rechipped (a free service I am told).

All I am trying to ascertain is if the current inventory is compatible. I have posed the question to the Sales Dept at Sigma4less....lets see whet they have to say. I will also ask Sigma too.

Feroz