Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:51 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I do it both ways, but I do often reformat in-camera just because it's easier. Do make sure your camera is set to continue the numbering sequence (can't remember where it is off-hand on the K100, it's in a different menu in the K10. It's in the manual), otherwise you get duplicate numbers.
Harriet

I have never set anything. By default the camera just continues the Numbers. I have never got Duplicate numbers. I have 5- 1 gig cards. Even If i Format Or rotate the cards, I have never had a problem.

'
Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:54 PM   #12

robar wrote:
Quote:
i formatted once acouple of years ago when new.
i may start doing it occassionally now.

roy
I agree with Roy on that subject. If i buy a new card, i always put it in the camera and Format it before the First picture is taken.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:53 PM   #13

I use the in-camera "delete all" function. I always get 92 RAWs on my 1GB card, I've never reformatted it. I can see one advantage with this. If the old files have been "deleted" but not overwritten by new files, I can "relete" them with Image Rescue if something proves wrong with my downloaded copies. Not that much of an advantage, but anyway...

Is in-camera formatting really faster than in-camera deleting (takes 15–20 seconds when the card is full)?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:00 PM   #14

I do reformat in camera now that I have my K100. On my old Canon A70, i never bothered, I just moved all the pictures from the card to the computer, and started over. 8000+ pictures on one card and no problems. Having said that, formatting each time is so easy that I can't really think of too many good reasons to not do it. The only times that I have not done it with the K100 are when I've wanted to keep a couple of pictures on the card to show someone, and when I was sharing a card for a short time between the camera and my Palm Tungsten. Despite the warning of incompatible file systems, the camera had no problems using a card with Palm programs and MP3 fils on it. It created a 'DCIM' directory and ignored everything else on the card.

Chris

silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:27 AM   #15

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Roy on that subject. If i buy a new card, i always put it in the camera and Format it before the First picture is taken.

Phil
With the K10D you don't even get that choice... put a virgin card it it, it just automatically formats it, even with the camera still turned off.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:14 AM   #16
Administrator

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I was reading in my Magic Lantern K100D book yesterday that it is best to reformat your card every time after removing photos to keep everything "in sync". States to reformat in the camera, not on the computer, by the way.
That sounds like pretty good advise to me.

Many people do delete images from a card (or cut and paste images which is really doing the same thing), and never have any problems.

Personally, I just don't write to a memory card using anything other than the camera I'm using it in, unless absolutely necessary, and I prefer to start out with a fresh FAT on a card prior to every use by using the camera's menu choice for format.

I feel much more confident that I'm not going to have a problem due to a corrupted FAT later, that may not be apparent at the time you start shooting with it.

So my suggestion would be to use the camera's menu choice for format prior to each reuse of your memory card.

It's just as fast as deleting the images with most cameras anyway (since it's not overwriting all the old images, just recreating the FAT), and that insures that you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

I never delete images from a memory card using a PC, because depending on the driver and how it's setup (whether or not it allows quick removal by flushing cache buffers to media faster), deleting images from a PC can cause a corrupted FAT.

I also never "cut and paste" images from a memory card using a PC for the same reason (because the cut part is a delete and writes to the card).

With some devices plugged in, you'll sometimes see an icon in your system tray to "safely remove" the device (camera or card reader) so that any cached disk writes in memory get flushed properly (and some device drivers have a "quick removal" option you can setup for the driver that does the same thing).

So, if you *must* do anything that writes to a card or camera with a PC, I'd make sure that all buffers are being flushed before you remove it (or do like I do, and always format a card with the camera's menu for format prior to every reuse).

Basically, I try not to write to my memory cards using anything other than the camera's menu choices, and if I ever do (I've been known to use memory cards for transferring files between PCs), I make *sure* to format it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again (which I do prior to every reuse of a memory card anyway).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:22 PM   #17

OMG!!!!
i'm in trouble.. i've done all the ''bad things'' jim just listed for the last 7 years using 3 different cameras and countless cardswith nary a problem.. maybe , i've just been lucky.. believe me, i'm in no way countering the advice given in this thread but it's just, i've never had a problem..

roy
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:38 PM   #18
Administrator

Some people never do and never have issues.

Some device drivers will default to "fast removal" (not caching writes to the device). Some devices don't (they cache writes and if you remove a device without using the "Safely remove" icon you'll see in your tray for them too soon, you'll corrupt your memory card.

But, given the complexity of operating systems, device drivers communicating via different USB Chipsets to different interfaces in cameras and readers, I don't risk that something would get "stepped on" corrupting my media, or that a buffer in memory didn't get flushed before I removed a device or card.

I've seen too many posts from users ending up with cards their camera didn't recognize right after they finished copying the photos from it using cut and paste or deletes from a PC. I've even seen people report corrupted media by doing something as simple as continuing to use a camera after their battery became low.

I don't risk that I've got a corrupted FAT because of a few bits getting flipped somewhere that may not be apparent until later. So, I always format a card prior to every use with a camera's menus for format. No exceptions, and I've been doing it that way for years with a variety of cameras and media types.

Steve also makes some comments on formatting from time to time. For example, see the last post in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...543815#p543815

Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:06 PM   #19

jim, i'm in no way saying it's a bad practice. in fact i'll probably be doing it periodically from now on. i've just never seen the need as i've never had a bad experience.. thanks for your input..
oh ? who's steve ????

roy
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:48 PM   #20
Administrator

robar wrote:
Quote:
oh ? who's steve ????
Look at a member's profile to see more about them. ;-)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_user.php?id=1