Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:11 PM   #21

JimC wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
oh ? who's steve ????
Look at a member's profile to see more about them. ;-)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_user.php?id=1

JIM !!
give me a break!!.. LOL

roy
Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:30 AM   #22
PDL

I just responded to a thread on this same subject in another forum - starts with d and ends with view -- hint hint.

Never format your flash card with your PC. If you are using XP Pro or Vista business or higher - the default format for drives is NTFS, not FAT32. Your PC will also put a recycle and system recover folder on the cards - and not the DCIM/Pentax/yadayada stuff that the camera uses.

As for the care and feeding of flash cards - read the Aug 2004 "tip" from Jerry (very nice guy by the way). Also - a great place for tips.

http://www.santafeworkshops.com/digital/jerrytips.cfm

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM   #23

Its faster to format than erase but if there is only a few photos I delete. For file names well after a certain amount it goes back to zero and you start again.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:40 PM   #24

I download my photos through picasa. I erase the disk during the download process. I am not sure that I have EVER formatted one of my cards.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:05 PM   #25

Thank you everyone for the input on this subject. I'm still in a toss up as to whether I should start formatting since some people haven't had problems doing it that way. Will probably start after I get back from vacation, though. Afraid to make any major changes of things before I leave. I've only got the one card right now.

Just to restate how I do empty my card, I put my card into my card reader, "quit" the sandisk software that wants to download it for me, open Windows Explorer, go to the I:\ drive (card reader) and copy (not cut) the photos from the card and paste into my Pentax folder. Then, once I know they all copied over, I go back and select all and delete the images from the card. Only recently started doing it that way. Was leaving them on the card until I had made a second backup copy. But, have gotten a little more brave lately since I do regular weekly backups. I then use the "remove hardware" option to safely remove the card reader and then remove the card from the card reader.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:08 AM   #26
PDL

I would suggest that you never just delete the files off of the Card. The file format used on SD cards is notorious for being easily corrupted - especially during deletes. Depending on the size of your SD card the file system is either FAT or FAT32. The FAT stands for File Allocation Table - it is a table that marks all the record-able sections of the SD card using a linked list. The indexes that are used can get corrupted quite easily - especially if you take several shots then delete some then shoot some more. This is why most PC's have the defrag command - The File Allocation Table gets its pointers all screwed up which leads to file system corruption. Formating on a PC can - in some cases - put recycle bins and system_information folders on the card. These folders can cause no end of issues in the camera.

In my previous post I gave a link to Jerry's tips - I would go with Jerry's tip - format your cards (be they SD SDHC or CF) in your camera before you use them. Jerryis the Digital Lab director at Santa Fe Workshops - he has been working with digital technologies for over 13 years. Let the camera do the job it is designed to do - set the format and folder stucture that it needs. The reformat "resets" the FAT, creates the folder and I would imagine it provides error messages if the card gets corrupted.

Remember SD cards (all digital cards) are susceptable to boot sector virus infections - when I attach my SD cards to either my Wolverine flashpac or to my PC - I lock the SD. Which means that no viruses can be written to the card - the lock is a write lock - disables anything from being written to the card.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:08 AM   #27

Thanks, PDL. I'll print out the tips and read them now. I had too much going on the other day.

I had never thought about the card getting a virus. I had been told that wasn't possible. I will start locking mine whenever it is not in the camera.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote