Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1

I was reading in my Magic Lantern K100D book yesterday that it is best to reformat your card every time after removing photos to keep everything "in sync". States to reformat in the camera, not on the computer, by the way. I've just been downloading the photos to my computer in Windows Explorer by copying and pasting and then deleting off the card when I know they are on the hard drive.

Question 1- If I reformat the card, will my numbering system on the photos start over again? Currently they are being numbered in the IMGP3252.jpg format.

I only have 1 GB card that I just keep reusing. Am planning on buying another either 1 or 2GB eventually.

Question 2 - When I do get a second card and switch back and forth between the cards, do the photos get numbered through the camera or the card? In other words, will I have two numbering systems going if I get a second card.

Thanks for any input.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2

Hi Patty

The answer to Both questions is that Camera determines the numbering So you can format, use Different card , whatever and the numbering stays the same( Starts were you left off)
As to the question Of format or not. I personally Do Format the card after i have Completly Backed up the pictures. Others Just take the pictures off the Card and reuse it. Does it make a difference, ??? Arguments Could Be made either way.

Hope This helps

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

If you don't have a reason to keep images on the card then yes reformatting (by camera NOT PC...which can be problematic) is a good idea.

An no if the camera set to continuos numbering, formating/card swapping should have no reset effect.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:27 AM   #4

I never reformat my card, I just "delete all". I've used my DS since November 2005 using the same 1GN card all the time and haven't had any problem with it. Why should it be an advantage to reformat it?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:50 AM   #5

Well for one thing if not saving anything it is much faster to format.

Unless you are talking deleting all via camera in which case I think it basically does a quick format anyways.

But via card reader it will delete file by file that way, and rather slowly

Formattting will also do a cleaner job than just deleting files, which leaves file system odds and ends (like padding chunks) lying about..

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:48 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

A quote from the book about the formatting:

"It's a good idea to reformat your SD card in the camera each time you download images to the computer. This "cleans up" the card and keep its data structure organized. Remember once you reformat, everything will be gone. Never format a card in a computer because computers use files structures that are different than digital cameras, which could make the card unreadable." (Magic Lantern Guides - Pentax K100D/K110D by Joe Farace.)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:04 AM   #7

While I agree with all the advice about formatting in camera, I've never had a problem simply deleting the RAW files from the card using Windows after I've downloaded them to my harddrive.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:08 AM   #8

I do it both ways, but I do often reformat in-camera just because it's easier. Do make sure your camera is set to continue the numbering sequence (can't remember where it is off-hand on the K100, it's in a different menu in the K10. It's in the manual), otherwise you get duplicate numbers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:49 AM   #9

i formatted once acouple of years ago when new.
i may start doing it occassionally now.

roy
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:41 AM   #10

I always format my card after I download the info since I expect it is just like a hard drive and will get fragmented with continual use.

Since there are no negative aspects to formatting, why not do it?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote